The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Ariz-Wash out of box

The PU just called an Arizona batter out for having a foot out of the box when she bunted the ball. The announcer looked at the replay and explained that though the batter's foot was not on the ground out of the box when she made contact, "the rule says that she can't break the plane of the batter's box."

She has a rule book different from mine.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Call of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
The PU just called an Arizona batter out for having a foot out of the box when she bunted the ball. The announcer looked at the replay and explained that though the batter's foot was not on the ground out of the box when she made contact, "the rule says that she can't break the plane of the batter's box."

They called it in the Tenn game too. I don't have my college rule book handy but I didn't think that's the way the rule read either.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely not the rule in NF. In NF the foot must be on the ground.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA book:

Section 17. An illegally batted ball occurs when the batter contacts the pitch and:

a. Either one of both of the batter's feet are in contact with the ground entirely outside the lines of the batter's box.

b. Any part of the batter's foot is touching home plate, even though she may be touching the lines of the batter's box.

c. etc.

The Arizona coach complained about the call, but not nearly as much as I would have.

Amazing! Announcers who don't know the rules! Sounded good, though, didn't it: "break the plane"?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Then there was the pop-fly in front of 3B that wasn't deep enough to advance the runners? Huh?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
They called it in the Tenn game too. I don't have my college rule book handy but I didn't think that's the way the rule read either.
I saw that one also and kept thinking her foot touched after contact with the ball, no call, but the timing was tight. Even if the camera had a better angle, you have to be sure to make the call.
Didn't hear any "break the plane" comment, maybe a rule book between games.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Then there was the pop-fly in front of 3B that wasn't deep enough to advance the runners? Huh?
Yeah, I caught that, too... with a R on 2B, fly ball to F5 in front of 3B... and that "wasn't deep enough to advance the runner".

Whisky Tango Foxtrot? Over?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the game but is it possible that the announcer meant that if a fly ball were caught deep in the outfield instead of in front of 3B the runner(s) might have had time to tag up and advance? Or am I giving him/her too much credit?
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
I didn't see the game but is it possible that the announcer meant that if a fly ball were caught deep in the outfield instead of in front of 3B the runner(s) might have had time to tag up and advance? Or am I giving him/her too much credit?
Hell, I don't think Visa would give her that much credit.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Definitely not the rule in NF. In NF the foot must be on the ground.

Last I knew there were no allegations that NCAA was using NFHS rules.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:

My wife is amused when I scream at the announcers. She told me, "You know they can't hear you, don't you?"

If she makes up just a couple more rules, Beth Mowins is going to move into Tim McCarver territory.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The announcer looked at the replay and explained that though the batter's foot was not on the ground out of the box when she made contact, "the rule says that she can't break the plane of the batter's box."
Maybe the announcer is, say, 160 years old. Back in the beginning, it WAS a line and not a box for the batter. Batter's box has been around longer than Christy Matthewson's mother.

These announcers disgust me. They need to put people in the booth that know the GAME, not just a play-by-play person who is a female and a player whose specialty is one particular positon and whose knowledge of the game is no more general than 90% of the people on this board.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Funny thing--I umpired a few local women's softball games back in CNY that Beth played. I guess, once again proving that just because people play the game that they do not know much about the rules.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
Funny thing--I umpired a few local women's softball games back in CNY that Beth played. I guess, once again proving that just because people play the game that they do not know much about the rules.
Does it then logically follow that since you umpired a few games you know all there is to know on how to PLAY the game?
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 10:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Does it then logically follow that since you umpired a few games you know all there is to know on how to PLAY the game?

Umpires know more about how the game should be played than the talking heads know the rules. There's no doubt about that.