The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Sounds like the FED needs to put out a ruling or tweak the wording on this rule. Many different interpretations as to when to wind the clock, holding for a team that hasn't returned, etc.
I don't understand the confusion over this. Table 3-1 was changed this year to address the confusion over whether or not the clock should be run if one or both teams were not on the field.

The game officials are responsible for ensuring that there is a three-minute warm-up period posted on the clock and the clock immediately started for use by the coaches immediately after the halftime intermission expires. The head coach is responsible for his team being on the field for mandatory warm-up time at the end of the scheduled halftime intermission.

What would you tweak?

Post the three minutes and run it - that's the NFHS position.

It doesn't say post the 3 minutes at the end of the intermission, ensure both teams are present and start the clock. It says post the 3 minutes at the end of intermission and immediately start the clock. If your state wants to do something else, that's their prerogative, but let's not pretend there is ambiguity in what the NFHS wants done.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
I don't understand the confusion over this. Table 3-1 was changed this year to address the confusion over whether or not the clock should be run if one or both teams were not on the field.

The game officials are responsible for ensuring that there is a three-minute warm-up period posted on the clock and the clock immediately started for use by the coaches immediately after the halftime intermission expires. The head coach is responsible for his team being on the field for mandatory warm-up time at the end of the scheduled halftime intermission.

What would you tweak?

It doesn't say post the 3 minutes at the end of the intermission, ensure both teams are present and start the clock. It says post the 3 minutes at the end of intermission and immediately start the clock. If your state wants to do something else, that's their prerogative, but let's not pretend there is ambiguity in what the NFHS wants done.
Ditto..
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:41am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:

What would you tweak?

I didn't have my book with me when I typed my posting, but reading what you posted and reading it in my book, I don't understand the many interpretations on when the clock is supposed to start even with the FED's clear mandate. You're letting the coaches run the game when you're holding the clock till both teams arrive on the field for the warm-up period, even if you have to penalize one or both for not being on the field at the time it's supposed to start. If this keeps up, then all I can say is...watch out a few years down the road, the FED will have a point of emphasis on this.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something and coming late to this discussion. Why do we have to ensure that both teams are on the field before we start the 3 minutes? That is not what the rule change did. We run the 3 minutes right after the halftime clock runs out. It is not our job to tell the coach how to use or not how to use that time frame. But they will be penalized if they are not on the field in time.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
If this keeps up, then all I can say is...watch out a few years down the road, the FED will have a point of emphasis on this.
I disagree, Brent. NFHS wants a warm up period, but I believe that they'll leave the implementation of that to the states. There's a lot of variability around half-time -- a band or two, other ceremonies, etc. -- a lot of variability about how far teams have to go between locker room and field, different facility sizes, etc. Unlike insisting on certain enforcements during the game, they'll leave this issue to the states, IMO.
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I disagree, Brent. NFHS wants a warm up period, but I believe that they'll leave the implementation of that to the states. There's a lot of variability around half-time -- a band or two, other ceremonies, etc. -- a lot of variability about how far teams have to go between locker room and field, different facility sizes, etc. Unlike insisting on certain enforcements during the game, they'll leave this issue to the states, IMO.
What does any of that have to do with the warmup period? The NHFS allows the the intermission time to be adjusted. If there is some special ceremony or something then they can extend the halftime intermission. The warmup period is completely separate from the intermission.

Everything you are talking about relates to a longer intermission. The warmup period still will start immediately after the intermission is finished. All it comes down to in the end is that one of the team members must look at a clock or use a stopwatch to know what time they need to be back on the field.

The NFHS says specifically how to run the warmup period. I don't think that they are trying to leave it up to states to decide how to do it.

Last edited by LDUB; Sat Oct 31, 2009 at 07:01pm.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 08:40am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Believe me...this isn't a problem around here. Crews do flag for USC when the bands don't get off the field before the halftime clock expire, or if halftime is extended because of the inability to complete their activities before the clock expires.

And this is our problem how? The teams have some responsibities. When someone talks about variables, they start to sound like my dean, who thinks we have to bottle-feed our college students, some who are the same age as us.

Last edited by Ref Ump Welsch; Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 08:43am.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Well, you're making my point. I've never heard of a slow band earning a flag around here.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I'm saying that NFHS picks its battles, and IMO they will let states decide how to enforce the warmup.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all for your feedback. Decided it's not a fight I'm willing to fight, so we'll just do like the state says. Though I'm sure it will be a point of discussion next year (the "interpretation" was published the last week of the regular season). Though I'll send something to the officials advisory committee.

Though I agree with many, don't understand how "immediately after the half time intermission expires" could result in so many different interpretations!!!

I'm tempted to ask a coach to stay off the field for an hour and see what happens. Heck, it's only a 15-yard penalty.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
No. If we can manage to look at a watch on the way off and get back on time, so can the teams. This is not something we are held responsible for.

I had to flag a team for this during the season. He blamed his assistants, not us.
In Louisiana our mechanics call for the wing officials to notify their respective coaches when there is five minutes remaining in the half time period.