The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

catch and possession

NFHS

Receiver A2 has a ball thrown to him in the end zone. It goes partially through his hands and lodges between his legs in his crotch area. The defender makes contact and the ball is dislodged. I ruled incomplete, however I would note that there was about a second of time (which seemed like an eternity) where I could not tell the actual location of the ball other than to say it wasn't on the ground or in the air and not clearly in the receivers hands.

Can you catch and possess a football between your legs, or must you possess it with your hands? If so this play was probably a TD. Rulebook 2-4 ands 2-34 don't seem to address my situation.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

You've already got 2-4 and 2-34, and these do not require 'possession' or 'holding' to involve the hands. If he had a secure grasp of the ball, I would rule possession, and thus a catch, and thus a TD.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

Receiver A2 has a ball thrown to him in the end zone. It goes partially through his hands and lodges between his legs in his crotch area. The defender makes contact and the ball is dislodged. I ruled incomplete, however I would note that there was about a second of time (which seemed like an eternity) where I could not tell the actual location of the ball other than to say it wasn't on the ground or in the air and not clearly in the receivers hands.

Can you catch and possess a football between your legs, or must you possess it with your hands? If so this play was probably a TD. Rulebook 2-4 ands 2-34 don't seem to address my situation.
Possession could be established with something other than the hands.
That said however, in your example, ball thru the hands and held for about a second between the legs before losing possession? You ruled correctly.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Under those circumstances I too would probably wave that incomplete.

But, you bring up a good question as to what actually does or could count as "possession?"
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would rule incomplete. Incidently, I would also rule incomplete if this happend on the thirty yardline (instead of catch and fumble).
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

We try to go by the adage "he ain't that good" meaning he doesn't get something cheap like that. I'd rule incomplete.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You've already got 2-4 and 2-34, and these do not require 'possession' or 'holding' to involve the hands. If he had a secure grasp of the ball, I would rule possession, and thus a catch, and thus a TD.
Does the definition use the word "grasp"? Then it would depend on whether that word implies use of hands.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
We try to go by the adage "he ain't that good" meaning he doesn't get something cheap like that. I'd rule incomplete.
What's cheap about catching a ball between your legs?
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Does the definition use the word "grasp"? Then it would depend on whether that word implies use of hands.
No, it doesn't, so no, it doesn't.

2-4-1 CATCH: "A catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball
which is in flight..."

2-34-1 POSSESSION: "A ball in player possession is a live ball held or controlled by a player
after it has been handed or snapped to him, or after he has caught or recovered it."