The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Is it proper to catch the coin, or to let it fall to the ground?

Some High Schools let the grass grow pretty high. I'm afraid that I might lose my coin.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I always catch and always say right before the toss: "If I drop it, we'll do it again". In 25 years, I have yet to drop it. By the way, I do not flip it over onto the back of my hand...I just catch it two-handed with a horizontal clapping motion and take the top hand off to reveal the coin. I do recommend that new referees practice once or twice in the dressing room.

Trust me...if you let it drop to the ground, there's no pretty way to bend over to look at the coin, if you get my drift. Also, with some grasses, it is quite possible that the coin would not end up perfectly flat, so then you've got an argument as to which side is up.

Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Catch it - but practice the flip at home. It looks terrible when the R is chasing the coin to try and catch it on an errant flip.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

You'll have some tossers that drop it, some catchers. I'm a catcher myself.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's good mechanics to know what's being called before tossing the coin. Then catch it.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb
I think it's good mechanics to know what's being called before tossing the coin. Then catch it.
This is probaly the best technique, you don't want to be throwin it and some kid yells "hails" or "teads"
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

I'm a dropper myself. Why risk dropping the coin unintentionally? I've never had a problem with that.

And when I'm wearing my compression shorts underneath the knickers, it doesn't look as bad when I bend over to pick up the coin... ;-)
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

All it takes is a little practice and you shouldn't drop it. One thing I forgot to mention is I always say "I'm going to flip the coin and catch it, if I drop it we will reflip" but I didn't drop one all season for lacrosse
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I catch the coin in my palm and cover with my other hand, then reveal to the Visitors and Home captains. I have the Visitor call it before the flip and have the Home repeat the call. I tell them one of us should know what was called.I also tell them if I drop it, I will reflip.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia we have a state mechanics manual that takes precident over the NFHS officials manual. In state manual we are instructed to catch it and to tell the players if we drop it we will toss it again. I tell the visiting captain to call it while the coin is in the air. After I catch it in my open palm covered by my other hand I turn to the home captain and ask him what the visiting captain called. I added that after the Jerome Bettis incident in the NFL. Once the home captain affirms the call I uncover the coin to show both the result. This has worked well for me as there has never been any confusion.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGARef
In Georgia we have a state mechanics manual that takes precident over the NFHS officials manual. In state manual we are instructed to catch it and to tell the players if we drop it we will toss it again. I tell the visiting captain to call it while the coin is in the air. After I catch it in my open palm covered by my other hand I turn to the home captain and ask him what the visiting captain called. I added that after the Jerome Bettis incident in the NFL. Once the home captain affirms the call I uncover the coin to show both the result. This has worked well for me as there has never been any confusion.
Basically do what you do, the other officials present echo the visiting teams call so there is no dispute. If he were to say Hails(or Teads) then I guess we'd have to do a reflip.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chiefgil
[B]Is it proper to catch the coin, or to let it fall to the ground?

When I white-hat, I have the visiting captain call the toss before I toss it and I have the other officials echo the call and write it down. I also state what was called prior to the toss. I toss and catch and tell them I'll re-toss if I drop it. I catch it in the palm and do not cover it. I use a silver dollar.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

call it........

" Visiting captain, you get the choice of the coin.....this is heads and this is tails. call it in the air, if I drop it, we'll do it again." Before I let the coin be shown, I always ask home cap "what did he call?" So, we got both caps agreeing that "heads" or "tails" be called.......lets get it on!!!!!

Only screwed the pooch once, I got the heads/tails bass-akwards...my U was a college big guru...saved my butt.....while clowning me the whole game bout it......twas much ado!!!!
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I like to catch it and I have dropped it one time but that was due to a big gust of wind blowing the coin away from me. Did a reflip and caught it the second time.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.