The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to toledotom46 Send a message via Yahoo to toledotom46
Unhappy

Play:30 seconds have expired in 1st period, A1 is inbounding ball on endline after a made basket by Team B,Team B is full court pressing and B1 is putting extreme pressure on throw-in, B1 maliciously swings at ball in A1 hands and hits in face while A1 is standing out of bounds to inbound ball, Trail official calls Techinical foul on B1 for excessive force on A1, when reporting techincal foul to score's table on B1, Head referee is told A2 who will shoot the free throws is not in the book correctly, Referee applies a technical foul to Team A for incorrect scorebook on starters on the floor, OK, Do We shoot free throws at both ends? who gets the ball after free throws? Alternating possession arrow? or does Team B get ball? Where are & who are technicals accessed to?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
First of all, B1's foul is not a technical foul. It sounds like A1 has the ball and is attempting to throw it in. That means the ball is live, and B1 contacted A1 (as opposed to contacting the ball). Therefore, the foul against B1 is an intentional personal foul. However, if, as you say, B1 was malicious (read, "trying to injure"), then it should be a flagrant personal foul.

In any case, even if they were both technicals these fouls did not occur at approximately the same time, so we have a FALSE double foul situation. The penalties will be administered in the order in which the infractions occurred.

A1 will shoot two FTs with no one along the lane. Then anyone from Team B will shoot 2 FTs with no one along the lane. Then Team B will inbound the ball at midcourt, opposite the table. The alternating possession procedure is NOT in effect; B's possession is part of the penalty for the technical foul and is not dependant on the arrow.

The technical foul on Team A is recorded as a team foul, but is not charged to any player, or indirectly to the coach. If the official incorrectly ruled B1's foul to be technical, then I'm not sure how it should be recorded. If it's a delay technical then it goes to the team; but I would want to tag B1 with it if I could figure out how.

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Apr 30th, 2002 at 01:52 PM]
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 02:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The technical foul on Team A is recorded as a team foul, but is not charged to any player, or indirectly to the coach. If the official incorrectly ruled B1's foul to be technical, then I'm not sure how it should be recorded. If it's a delay technical then it goes to the team; but I would want to tag B1 with it if I could figure out how.

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Apr 30th, 2002 at 01:52 PM] [/B]
Chuck,B1 can be charged with the T under R9-3-7a--delay of game for preventing the ball being put in play.PF of some kind(intentional or flagrant)is the right call in this play,as you said--but if the T is called,this is the right application.Casebook 10.3.12a&b covers it also.