The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Penalty enforcement

If a flag is thrown for celebrating after a touchdown , do you still mark the penalty or wave it off ,if the touchdown is called back
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by habram View Post
If a flag is thrown for celebrating after a touchdown , do you still mark the penalty or wave it off ,if the touchdown is called back
If the TD is called back does that mean they never exhibited USC?
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 396
Dead ball foul, still gonna get enforced.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Dead ball foul, still gonna get enforced.
thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Dec 03, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to habram
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If the TD is called back does that mean they never exhibited USC?
thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 798
Team B would most likely make them try from the 18 but they can elect to make them kick from the 25 on the subsequent kickoff.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge View Post
Team B would most likely make them try from the 18 but they can elect to make them kick from the 25 on the subsequent kickoff.

I think he's saying there was a foul on A during the play, nullifying the TD.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 178
that's a good question. never thought of that. so youre saying:

during a 30 yd TD pass, team A holds. and the receiver, after crossing the goal line spikes the ball.

strictly speaking, you back them up 10, then back them up an additional 15 for the dead ball USC, and replay the down.

but in a high school game, I think some crews might "quietly pick up" the USC flag here and just enforce the hold.

while technically not the correct thing, the thinking being that nullifying the TD and assessing 10 yards is enough of a penalty. (note: if it was a dead ball personal foul on team A, then yeah, we're walking off 25).
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 02:35pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
but in a high school game, I think some crews might "quietly pick up" the USC flag here and just enforce the hold.
I have no doubt you're correct about that but they shouldn't.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 08, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
that's a good question. never thought of that. so youre saying:

during a 30 yd TD pass, team A holds. and the receiver, after crossing the goal line spikes the ball.

strictly speaking, you back them up 10, then back them up an additional 15 for the dead ball USC, and replay the down.

but in a high school game, I think some crews might "quietly pick up" the USC flag here and just enforce the hold.

while technically not the correct thing, the thinking being that nullifying the TD and assessing 10 yards is enough of a penalty. (note: if it was a dead ball personal foul on team A, then yeah, we're walking off 25).
During a NCAA game this year (maybe a Thursday night ESPN game), a U of Cincinnati receiver caught a ball and attempted to get to the goal line. He thought he did, ripped off his helmet and USC celebrated. After review of the play, it was determined that he was out at the one. A's ball, first and ten from the 16.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post
During a NCAA game this year (maybe a Thursday night ESPN game), a U of Cincinnati receiver caught a ball and attempted to get to the goal line. He thought he did, ripped off his helmet and USC celebrated. After review of the play, it was determined that he was out at the one. A's ball, first and ten from the 16.
Both enforcements are essentially the same. In the original sample play, the holding penalty, during the live ball, negates the apparent TD and is enforced from the spot of the foul (if during a run), previous spot (if during a pass), and the down is repeated. After that live ball foul is enforced, the dead ball foul is enforced from the subsequent spot.

In your example, there was no live ball foul, the play simply ended at the 1 yard line. After the play, the dead ball foul is enforced from the subsequent spot.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Both enforcements are essentially the same. In the original sample play, the holding penalty, during the live ball, negates the apparent TD and is enforced from the spot of the foul (if during a run), previous spot (if during a pass), and the down is repeated. After that live ball foul is enforced, the dead ball foul is enforced from the subsequent spot.

In your example, there was no live ball foul, the play simply ended at the 1 yard line. After the play, the dead ball foul is enforced from the subsequent spot.
You are 100% correct but you missed his point. He was commenting on a play where a player would be penalized for celebrating a TD that didn't actually happen because of the live ball foul. Depending on the situation and the extent of the celebration, you might let that go.

Along the same lines, what if a player is ruled down by contact or stepped out of bounds but he continues to run. If there is no immediate whistle and it may not be obvious to the defensive players the down has ended, do you give the defense a little more leniency on a hit that occurs while the offensive player is still running?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
that's a good question. never thought of that. so youre saying:

during a 30 yd TD pass, team A holds. and the receiver, after crossing the goal line spikes the ball.

strictly speaking, you back them up 10, then back them up an additional 15 for the dead ball USC, and replay the down.

but in a high school game, I think some crews might "quietly pick up" the USC flag here and just enforce the hold.

while technically not the correct thing, the thinking being that nullifying the TD and assessing 10 yards is enough of a penalty. (note: if it was a dead ball personal foul on team A, then yeah, we're walking off 25).
I don't understand the logic of quietly picking up the flag. Suppose the player turned around, saw an official signaling holding to the ref, and then spiked the ball? If "some crews" would enforce that USC, why would they not enforce the USC under the conditions stated above?

Why not let team B decide if the 10 yard penalty was enough? Couldn't they decline the dead ball USC if they thought that was too much, the way some players will deliberately miss a technical foul shot in basketball if they think the other team was unfairly penalized?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I don't understand the logic of quietly picking up the flag. Suppose the player turned around, saw an official signaling holding to the ref, and then spiked the ball? If "some crews" would enforce that USC, why would they not enforce the USC under the conditions stated above?

Why not let team B decide if the 10 yard penalty was enough? Couldn't they decline the dead ball USC if they thought that was too much, the way some players will deliberately miss a technical foul shot in basketball if they think the other team was unfairly penalized?
I don't see that happening.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 09, 2009, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
You are 100% correct but you missed his point. He was commenting on a play where a player would be penalized for celebrating a TD that didn't actually happen because of the live ball foul. Depending on the situation and the extent of the celebration, you might let that go.

Along the same lines, what if a player is ruled down by contact or stepped out of bounds but he continues to run. If there is no immediate whistle and it may not be obvious to the defensive players the down has ended, do you give the defense a little more leniency on a hit that occurs while the offensive player is still running?
The original question included that a flag for celebration was thrown. I presume all the factors regarding the extent of the celebration were taken into consideration before deciding whether or not a flag was called for. Once the flag is thrown, for whatever behavior was displayed, I would not consider ignoring, or reversing, it because the outcome of the play changed.

Unfortunately for the player, the undoing of an otherwise score only highlites and magnifies the ignorance of the celebration.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Penalty Enforcement nelson_28602 Football 3 Sun Nov 11, 2007 03:34pm
Penalty Enforcement bossman72 Football 14 Tue Oct 16, 2007 09:44am
Penalty enforcement AJones Football 9 Wed Nov 02, 2005 08:26pm
NFL Penalty Enforcement mikesears Football 5 Sat Jul 16, 2005 09:33am
Penalty enforcement pafallref Football 9 Mon Sep 08, 2003 09:13pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1