The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm confused. A safety occurs when Team A is tackled in its end zone. So team A is the scored upon team. If the scored upon team designates which team kicks off, why would they designate themselves?
B is not the scoring team when A gives up a safety. Rather, the points are "awarded to" B, almost like a penalty. See 8-1.

Since B is not the scoring team, A is not the scored upon team. Instead, the team that gives up the safety by rule must free kick to the other team. The usual options of the scoring team do not apply.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
B is not the scoring team when A gives up a safety. Rather, the points are "awarded to" B, almost like a penalty. See 8-1.

Since B is not the scoring team, A is not the scored upon team. Instead, the team that gives up the safety by rule must free kick to the other team. The usual options of the scoring team do not apply.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The rule is that the scored upon team will designate which team will kick off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm confused. A safety occurs when Team A is tackled in its end zone. So team A is the scored upon team. If the scored upon team designates which team kicks off, why would they designate themselves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

You guys are making this way harder than it is. There is no designating after a safety. Also the free kick after a safety is not a kickoff.

8-3 ART. 9 . . . After a try, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.

8-4 ART. 2 . . . After a field goal, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They restored the fair catch in 1951, minus the kick option.
Are you sure? Jerry Markbriet makes a reference to the "new" fair catch rule when he made a Big 10 crew in the mid-60s. He missed a call in a game related to the FC.

I know the Nelson book says what you said, but I'm wondering if he's mistaken.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Are you sure? Jerry Markbriet makes a reference to the "new" fair catch rule when he made a Big 10 crew in the mid-60s. He missed a call in a game related to the FC.

I know the Nelson book says what you said, but I'm wondering if he's mistaken.
Not Nelson, but a booklet by John Williams, published by NCAA for the 100th anniversary (1976) of the original intercollegiate football rules committee. It had appendices detailing all the changes of the two most frequently amended provisions to that time, that dealing with the fair catch and that dealing with substitution. It was rare that long went by without changes regarding the fair catch, so I'm sure Jerry Markbreit was right about there being a new fair catch rule in the middle 1960s. Many of the changes had to do with the details of signaling for one. Interestingly, not long after the booklet came out, the provisions for fair catches in NCAA stopped being frequently changed.