The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Something very interesting happened in Kansas last night. The second ranked and fifth ranked teams from the second largest class in the state were playing. The score was tied with less than 30 seconds left in the game. One team punted and the other called for a fair-catch at B-40. They then took advantage of that obscure rule that allows them to free-kick for a field-goal. Their kicker made the 50-yard field goal with 3 seconds left and won the game. The article said that almost all of the fans had no idea what had just happened and just stood around after the end of the game. Both coaches knew what was happening and neither had to be informed of the option for the free-kick. The losing coach knew what the other coach was doing as soon as he saw the signal for a fair-catch. I suppose now he wishes that he had his punter kick the ball lower or out-of-bounds.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

I was at that game and didn't realize that until they brought out the tee...GREAT game!
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't it have been a 60-yard field goal? I always thought you backed K up 10 yards for the free kick.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Can you post a link to the article about the game. I'd love to read it. This is the first time I've ever heard about a team using that rule provision. Was there any local TV coverage with footage of the play?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

The point of the fair catch becomes the LOS. You then back up R 10 yards for the free kick line. R may not charge to block the free kick. This rule is very seldom used so administration of the rule is sometime fogotten.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lawref
Wouldn't it have been a 60-yard field goal? I always thought you backed K up 10 yards for the free kick.
No, you don't back K up. You move R back 10 yards from the spot of the catch. Moving K back wouldn't be fair. They should be allowed to kick the ball from where they caught it. Moving them back would be equivalent to a 10 yard penalty.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Here is the article.

http://www.saljournal.com/storiesDat..._scGame1.shtml

I know that our CBS station here in Wichita was at the game but I was out of town for our game so I didn't see the sports coverage on the news.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Some questions on this play if anyone was there or knew someone who was.

The picture shows a holder and it doesn't look like a tee was used. I'm sure you can use the kickoff tee on this free kick.

The article seems to imply that this was the last play of the game. Since it was a free kick never leagally touched, would the clock ever start? If not there would have at least been a kickoff.

The article didn't really detail the "obscure " rule, so most fans still probably don't know what happened.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

The picture's caption says it's the try after a 2nd quarter TD, NOT the free-kick with :03 left. That's why there's a holder.