The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Recovery after games

How do you guys do it??? I've never had a problem in the past but this week has been awful. After 7 games from Friday to Sunday I've just been hurting. Normally after Monday's I'm fine but I woke up in pain again today.

Luckily, I suppose, all the pain is located in just one of my legs (hey, I got two). Achillies, knee, and hamstring all killing me on the left leg.

What do you guys do to recover after games and get ready for the following week?
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Three words...Miller Genuine Draft.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLJ View Post
How do you guys do it??? I've never had a problem in the past but this week has been awful. After 7 games from Friday to Sunday I've just been hurting. Normally after Monday's I'm fine but I woke up in pain again today.

Luckily, I suppose, all the pain is located in just one of my legs (hey, I got two). Achillies, knee, and hamstring all killing me on the left leg.

What do you guys do to recover after games and get ready for the following week?
Ibuprofen, lots of water, stretch, light exercise, in that order.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Cold Bud and hot tub!
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I posted this on another forum, so hopefully this will help:

1) Cold Tub - this is quite possibly the best thing you can do for sore legs. You don't even have to have an injury to do the cold tub. If your legs are very sore, do it! The "designed" cold tubs are the best because you can stand up in them, but you can make a home made one in your bath tub that is serviceable. Buy one of those extra large bags of ice at the store and dump it in your bath tub. Fill it up with cold water and jump in with a pair of underwear or compression shorts. Stay in for about 15 to 20 min. When doing the home made one, be sure to move around a bit since the parts of your legs and butt that are contacting the tub won't get as cold. For the first 5 minutes it SUCKS, but grit your teeth and stay in there. After you get numb it's tolerable.

I promise you your legs will feel like a million bucks if you do the cold tub properly.

2) Ibuprofen - Just pop 2 or 3 before your game to take the edge off. It won't cure it, but it will dull the pain a little.

3) Buy a foam roller. Here is the one I use : http://www.power-systems.com/p-2972-...am-roller.aspx (the big round one)

Roll out and do a stretch routine after every game and that will take a good bit of the soreness out of your legs and back. This is also a great tool for preventing soreness.

4) Stretch / warm up - If officiating a game is a highly physical activity for you (everyone is different) then it's important to warm up before so you don't pull anything. It's recommended to DYNAMICALLY stretch (lots of movement - ie- lying straight leg raises) rather than statically stretch (ie- touch your toes) before activity. It's just as important to STRETCH DOWN after the game as it is before. Stretching down prevents soreness. Static stretches are the best for stretching down. Stretch first, then foam roll.

5) General injuries - ALWAYS ICE before heat. Ice until the swelling disappears, then you can heat if you want.

Hope this helps!
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not do 7 games on one day anymore.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 11:48am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
Three words...Miller Genuine Draft.
Avoid the Steel Reserve...your recovery time will be longer.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut as well as everything Bossman says, but in reality, it isn't an after the game deal anymore. You have to have a 24/7/365 fitness program that keeps you body at a high level and able to take just about anything thrown at it.

If you want to do 7 games on a Friday, you have to put in the work the rest of the week. There's no magic remedy until someone invents a fountain of youth or full leg transplants.

Think about it this way: special forces operators have to keep themselves at a conditioning level similar to elite athletes. We just have to keep ourselves at the level of the mediocre ones!

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 12:56pm.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 12:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

To be fair, he didn't say 7 games in one day, he said 7 games from Friday to Sunday. Don't get me wrong, that is still a good amount of games and Aggie, your point on fitness is dead on.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
To be fair, he didn't say 7 games in one day, he said 7 games from Friday to Sunday. Don't get me wrong, that is still a good amount of games and Aggie, your point on fitness is dead on.
Even if that is the case, either you work out to make your body prepared for that, or you stop working those amount of games so that you are not hurting. Unless the pain for a few days is bearable, stop working that much.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 12:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

No argument from me on that point.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Welpe for the correction. I didn't read it closely enough and took Rut's word for it. Perhaps that's another issue.

We have a lot of guys that work 2 JV or Frosh games on Thursday, a varsity game on Friday, and loads of Pee Wees on Saturday -- anywhere from 2-6. So its easy to do 7 in 3 days. I don't do pee wees, though.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 01:03pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not do 7 games on one day anymore.

Peace
Neither did ChicagoLJ!!!
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 01:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I don't do pee wees, though.
Why's that? Too much "Madden Video Game" rule knowledge for you?
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 04:22pm
Chain of Fools

After the floods of 2004 in WNC, I worked 8 games in 7 days to make up the missed games that were rescheduled. I begged my doctor to saw my feet off. He gave me cortisone in both heels and after the intense burning wore off in 30 seconds or so I was a new man.

The cold tub post game is good. I created one out of those plastic utility tubs with the nylon rope handles for about $5. I had to saw a notch so it would fit under the spigot in the tub. I fill it up on Friday morning before I leave for work and dump the post-game cooler ice in it when I get home that night. It only gets up to the bottom of my knees but that's all I'm really worried about hurting any way. I've got a little stool I sit on and I read SI or the Sporting News while I soak til the Friday night highlights come on the news.

A new routine I've added this season is on Saturday morning I get to the fitness center as soon as they open at 7:30. Ride the bike for 30 minutes until the pool opens and then soak in the spa/therapy pool for 20 min or so.