The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Recovery Time

Earlier this week while working the plate, I was plunked in the head while on the line counting pitches between innings. I never saw the damned ball coming from left field before it hit me. One minute I was standing there waiting for the battery to take it down, and the next I was seeing stars. I took a few minutes to try and shake it off, but when I got back to calling pitches I struggled terribly. This was early in the game, and I probably should have switched with my partner for the remainder of the game, but my ego got the best of me and I battled through it. I knew I was stinking up the place, but nothing I did seemed to help me recover from the blow. Is there a method that you've used to help you recover from something like this?

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Getting plunked in the noggin is no laughing matter. I haven't been hit in the head lately, but I figure depending on the severity of the hit, it could take upwards of a few days. You could have suffered a minor concussion.

My question, how did you not see the ball?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Getting plunked in the noggin is no laughing matter. I haven't been hit in the head lately, but I figure depending on the severity of the hit, it could take upwards of a few days. You could have suffered a minor concussion.

My question, how did you not see the ball?
I was on the third base line counting warm up pitches. I guess the left fielder uncorked a wild throw on one of the outfield warm up balls as he threw it back in. I never asked how I got hit, I just sort of figure this is what happened.

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I was on the third base line counting warm up pitches. I guess the left fielder uncorked a wild throw on one of the outfield warm up balls as he threw it back in. I never asked how I got hit, I just sort of figure this is what happened.

Tim.

Maybe the left fielder has been watching YouTube of a certain Georgia State Tournament game......
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Tim,

You don't mention any lingering headaches or dizziness so I'll assume there are none. If there were I know you'd be smart enough (hint) to see a doctor.

Sometimes we just have to let go of our ego and do the smart thing.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 02:49am

Tim,

At least it hit you in the head where no real damage could be done!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Tim,

At least it hit you in the head where no real damage could be done!
Damn, Steve! You beat me to it!
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Don't be cruel.

Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Time, and no more blows to your head, are your only friends here. Concussions are serious business, and I got one with one of those +POS SUL masks years ago. I was not right for two solid weeks. Just felt slow, and more stupid than usual. I've been through some nasty ones with my daughter, and it's scary stuff when you're dealing with the brain.

If it were me, I wouldn't work the dish for month.

p.s. next time, don't be anywhere near that guy warming up the outfielder. He's usually catching three balls before he hits the dugout, and they're coming in from all over the diamond. I've had some close ones, and now stand in deep B or C when I'm on the bases.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Concussions are serious business
Yessir.

In my wild rugby days, back when concussions were not serious business , I played through several concussions, including games where I was whacked so hard, I couldn't remember which position I was playing. Heaven only knows what permanent damage I was courting.

By way of contrast, my young son has already taken two rides in the big red bus, once when he was five and a second time when he was ten, because of what turned out to be mild concussions. We kept him out of contact sports for a full year after the second one.

No laughing matter. I sincerely hope you recover fully and soon.

Bob James

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Earlier this week while working the plate, I was plunked in the head while on the line counting pitches between innings. I never saw the damned ball coming from left field before it hit me. One minute I was standing there waiting for the battery to take it down, and the next I was seeing stars. I took a few minutes to try and shake it off, but when I got back to calling pitches I struggled terribly. This was early in the game, and I probably should have switched with my partner for the remainder of the game, but my ego got the best of me and I battled through it. I knew I was stinking up the place, but nothing I did seemed to help me recover from the blow. Is there a method that you've used to help you recover from something like this?

Tim.
You should have been looked at immediately bro. TBI never benign. A few small incidents can be as lethal as one massive one.

My stepdad was known as Whitey Kozy in and around New Britain, CT - Golden Gloves (60's). While he was never KO'd, he now suffers irrepairable memory loss from chronic TBI due to the punches he received during his short boxing career. The doctor compared them to "small strokes".

Get it checked out.