The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:30pm
Chain of Fools

Eyeglass question

About 4 years ago, I finally decided I needed glasses. Initially I went with off the shelf readers, thinking it was just "old age". Over several months, I noticed differences in one eye so I went to an optomitrist. He fitted me with RX glasses and everything seemed o.k.

However, I began to detect that again one eye was giving me trouble. The OD began to suspect a cataract and referred me to an opthamologist. He confirmed this and in fact found cataracts on both eyes. I had the one on the left eye removed back at the end of the '07 season. The right eye had not degraded enough to take it off.

Originally, I was able to call games without glasses but eventually found I needed them to read my game card. An o- lineman spazzed out and broke my first RX set the first game of the '06 season. I then had a set of Bolle sunglasses fitted with no-line, clear RX lenses but the metal frames hurt after a while and I just didn't like their look.

Last season I tried some clear, reader safety glasses-which looked like safety glasses. I also tried $1 readers in my pocket but they would fog over as soon as I put them on during a TO. I

I've seen some of the NFL guys wearing what appear to be clear lensed, sport type glasses but can't seem to find anything matching them online. The Rec-specs just look too goofy to me. Wal-mart Vision center carries them so they are easy to find but blehhhh.

Anybody got any ideas? I've looked at the Oakleys that Brian McCann of the Braves started wearing and the local eye doctor's office seems to think that they can have Oakley make me clear lenses in my RX. The Half Jacket frames are light and Oakley apparently has a good guarantee on the frames.

Those of you who need to wear glasses, are you just sticking an elastic strap on an old pair or are you getting something made to call games in?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Have you thought about contact lenses? Lasik surgery?
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

You can get prescription tinted Oakley lenses, I don't see why you couldn't get clear ones. I think that would be the best way for you to go if you can't wear contacts.

Oakleys are tough and their lenses offer ballistic protection, which is why so many of our troops are wearing them in combat zones (other than the desert sun of course).

Edit: I just double checked the Oakley site and they do indeed make clear prescription lenses. If I were you, I'd pick out a frame I like and order up a prescription set of clear lenses. Can you wear sunglasses during subvarsity games? If so, you can get a tinted set of lenses for the same frame.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 01:48pm.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 02:29pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerblue View Post
Have you thought about contact lenses? Lasik surgery?
Amazingly, some people can't wear contacts when they have cataracts. Something about the eyeball's shape that prevents that.

Not covered by a large percentage of insurance plans anymore, and usually not effective on eyes that have cataracts.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 02:44pm
Chain of Fools

I watched my wife and my best friend deal with contacts. I know they're simpler to deal with now from 20-30 years ago but sticking stuff in my eye has never had any appeal for me.

I will be having eye surgery again as soon as the cataract on my right eye reaches a level the doctor can perform on. Presently its not far enough along for my insurance to cover it.

Tinted glasses at any level in my state are not approved so if I go with the Oakleys, they'll be pretty much for calling games, unless I can interchange the lenses.

Last edited by HLin NC; Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 02:46pm.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

glasses

I tried the rec spec from Wiley love them on my motorcyle but they stayed fogged up on the field. Contacts would be my choice but I need Bi-focals.
Steve
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I've worn eye glasses since I was 5 yrs old. I've been officiating for 20+ years now. For the last 7 or 8 years, I've needed reading glasses too, so now I have varifocal lenses in my glasses.
By varifocal, I mean a graduated lens that is for long distance vision at the top, medium distance (eg computer screen) in the middle and reading at the bottom). I think you have a different name for varifocals in the US?

In the past, I used to wear my old pair and use one of those Croakies straps. But now I just wear my regular pair - they stay on my head so well, I don't even bother with the Croakies strap anymore.

It has to be raining real bad for me to have any problems with them, don't recall ever having condensation issues.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

I've always worn glasses.
I try to remember to swap out my newest (everyday) pair for my second newest pair when I officiate (I keep them in my bag). Just in case I get hit.

I have also looked at a lot of different types of frames, including some that are super flexible. Basically you can bend them in to knots or crunch them up to a ball and they will spring back into shape.
I didn't like them though, since they sit strangely over my ears. I think they were also quite expensive.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I've always worn glasses when officiating. I just wear a regual pair with no strap or anything. I do put on some anti-fogging stuff I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods. It's called Cat Crap and I don't want to know why it's called that.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sticking stuff in my eye has never had any appeal for me
Me either. In fact, its to the point where I can't stand objects pointing in the direction of my eye, whether its a straw in a drink or a fan blade on a ceiling fan. It drives me crazy and I must move the object.

However, I've been wearing contacts since 1981, including hard lenses for the first 10 or so years of that time, and it took minutes or even seconds, rather than hours, days, or even weeks, to get used to them and not be bothered by the eye contact. If I'm as sensitive as I am -- even with NO CONTACT with the eye -- anyone can wear contacts. The newer lenses are so good, I don't get dry eyes anymore.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

HL: if you haven't found an answer to your problem then try your local bicycle shop. I'm pretty certain they'll have sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. I have a pair with 4 lenses: dark, not so dark, yellow and clear. You could also try:

PerformanceBike - Welcome!

Nashbar - Welcome!
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:31am
Chain of Fools

I've looked at some of the Natives that have the same type lenses. Its getting the RX made is the pain.

To further update, optomitrist says Oakley wants about $500 for a set of Half Jackets, then came back with they couldn't do the no line lenses for my particuliar vision problem in the Half Jacket so they wnat me to come back and try something else.

I'm about ready to say THWI and just carry dollar store readers in my pocket.
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I watched my wife and my best friend deal with contacts. I know they're simpler to deal with now from 20-30 years ago but sticking stuff in my eye has never had any appeal for me.

I will be having eye surgery again as soon as the cataract on my right eye reaches a level the doctor can perform on. Presently its not far enough along for my insurance to cover it.

Tinted glasses at any level in my state are not approved so if I go with the Oakleys, they'll be pretty much for calling games, unless I can interchange the lenses.
I would strongly suggest that you give contacts a try. Within a few days you will never want to where glasses again.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I wear contacts with dark lensed Oakley Half Jackets when I officiate. Best glases, prescription or otherwise, that I've ever had. Every so often I will officiate with my normal glasses to give my eyes a break but it's rare.

Check into industrial type safety glasses. Many of them look like wraparound sunglasses and are available in RX.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews View Post
... they stayed fogged up on the field.
At 18, I require a weak prescription for glasses. While playing sports, I would put rubbing alcohol on the glasses and they never fogged up. I would bet a RainX type product would also prevent the fog up.

Around 35 my eyes actually got better and I stopped needing glasses. Now approaching 50, I've caught myselft a couple of times doing the long-arm thing.