View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:30pm
Chain of Fools

Eyeglass question

About 4 years ago, I finally decided I needed glasses. Initially I went with off the shelf readers, thinking it was just "old age". Over several months, I noticed differences in one eye so I went to an optomitrist. He fitted me with RX glasses and everything seemed o.k.

However, I began to detect that again one eye was giving me trouble. The OD began to suspect a cataract and referred me to an opthamologist. He confirmed this and in fact found cataracts on both eyes. I had the one on the left eye removed back at the end of the '07 season. The right eye had not degraded enough to take it off.

Originally, I was able to call games without glasses but eventually found I needed them to read my game card. An o- lineman spazzed out and broke my first RX set the first game of the '06 season. I then had a set of Bolle sunglasses fitted with no-line, clear RX lenses but the metal frames hurt after a while and I just didn't like their look.

Last season I tried some clear, reader safety glasses-which looked like safety glasses. I also tried $1 readers in my pocket but they would fog over as soon as I put them on during a TO. I

I've seen some of the NFL guys wearing what appear to be clear lensed, sport type glasses but can't seem to find anything matching them online. The Rec-specs just look too goofy to me. Wal-mart Vision center carries them so they are easy to find but blehhhh.

Anybody got any ideas? I've looked at the Oakleys that Brian McCann of the Braves started wearing and the local eye doctor's office seems to think that they can have Oakley make me clear lenses in my RX. The Half Jacket frames are light and Oakley apparently has a good guarantee on the frames.

Those of you who need to wear glasses, are you just sticking an elastic strap on an old pair or are you getting something made to call games in?