The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

offensive pass interference question

Having trouble finding the answer to this so please include the rule references.

Trips right and the offense does a basic wide reciever screen. No big deal since the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage the wideouts can block downfield while ball is in the air.

A couple plays later, the same formation and they fake the same screen play. The wideouts block the same but after a pump fake towards the screen play the QB throws a backside seam to the TE on the other side of the formation. Since the blocking downfield is so far from direction of the pass then it's not interference....is this correct?
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 11:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

By rule you can still have an OPI in that situation.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

By rule you have OPI. NFHS 7-5-11c states that contact by B away from the direction of the pass is legal, but the same leeway does not apply to A by rule. Philosophically you might lay off this call but the blocking better really, really be away from the play and not very far downfield.

Long story short, the offense knows the play and should know the rule. Furthermore it is the responsibility of the offense to avoid the opponent. Think of it this way--assuming the defense knows the rule (I know, a stretch but still...) the if a receiver goes down and blocks the a defender can reasonably think and react to a run. There's the illegal advantage gained.

Personally I might miss this one the first time, but I guarantee I'd flag it if it happened again. The offense should be held to a higher "standard" because they know the play.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I disagree. This wasn't a case of a potential receiver blocking before the ball was caught. This was a case of purposeful blocking downfield to "sell" the fake screen. I have OPI unless they manage to fake the block as well. They could very easily be blocking someone who has coverage responsibility on that seam pass.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
"By rule" implies that a foul has technically occurred but some (or most) are likely to pass on calling it. I disagree. This should be flagged. As stated previously, the offense knows the play and knows they should not be blocking. It's very conceivable that the safety sees the block and reads screen pass and moves up for support, leaving the middle open.

I want my crew calling this every time.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
"By rule" implies that a foul has technically occurred but some (or most) are likely to pass on calling it. I disagree. This should be flagged. As stated previously, the offense knows the play and knows they should not be blocking. It's very conceivable that the safety sees the block and reads screen pass and moves up for support, leaving the middle open.

If nothing else the downfield officials must know the rule and once an offensive receiver blocks the official should read run. This has a material affect on the play as if the defenders know the rule...a stretch, at best...they will adjust.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just read this in going over my preseason meeting notes yesterday. I said, "Wow, that's harsh," but they've said (emphatically) call it every time.

I'm going to guess the reaction from A's sideline would be....not positive (I know that's not a reason to not call it).
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The reason I said "by rule" because that is the rule as it was described. Of course we are not calling the game on a discussion board or reading a few words. It is possible the description is not as clear as the actual play. And when I am not sure a rule has been violated, I likely do not go around calling a foul based on something I am unsure about.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 19, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV View Post
By rule you have OPI. NFHS 7-5-11c states that contact by B away from the direction of the pass is legal, but the same leeway does not apply to A by rule. Philosophically you might lay off this call but the blocking better really, really be away from the play and not very far downfield.
Even in that case, the illegal blocking may well have affected the play. Players in the defensive secondary should know the rules and use them to diagnose the play. Once they see the players of A blocking downfield, they know a pass downfield would be penalized, so they can come up to play the run or screen pass. So I see no excuse to ignore the fouls.

Blocks against players of the secondary are commonly coached as a "stalk block", meaning the blocker shadows the target and may delay actual contact for some time. AFAIK, just getting in the way and threatening to make contact isn't interference -- that even if the opponent alters his path in response, he doesn't draw the foul unless & until he makes actual contact.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Fri Sep 19, 2008 at 02:14pm.