The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 17, 2000, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

High School game 5 seconds to go first half Quarterback twows a Touchdown pass as the half ends but there is offensive pass interference so the play does not stand and the half ends. Is this correct or should the offense be given another down. I know a half can not end on adefensive penalty but what about this??
Old Sun Sep 17, 2000, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Don't confuse the NFL with the NF. I believe that the NFL rule addresses defensive penalties only. Under NF rules, 3-3-3a specifically, a period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down, there was a foul, other than unsportsmanlike or non-player, by either team and the penalty is accepted.

In the play you described, Team A would have one untimed down, unless the OPI occurred on 4th down. If it was 4th down, then Team B would get the ball for one untimed down.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2000, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I think that the key here is if the penalty is accepted or not. Dosnt seem like the B team would and give A team another chance to score .
Old Sat Sep 23, 2000, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Jim, if Team B doesn't accept the penalty and have the period extended then the team A Touchdown counts. Now that would be pretty dumb.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2000, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Forgive me Theisey , that was DUMB I wasnt paying attention to the origional ouestion , I was thinking it was droped . thanks for the wake up