The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

A=offense B=defense

(A) has the ball and its 4th down and 12, on this particular play which is a pass, (A) pushes off (B) the defender and catches the ball for a gain of 22 yards, i am looking for the way to administer this on the option and who gets the ball. im looking for national federation rule on this.

thanks
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

15 yards and loss of down from the previous spot. Mark off the 15 and give the ball to B.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
A=offense B=defense

(A) has the ball and its 4th down and 12, on this particular play which is a pass, (A) pushes off (B) the defender and catches the ball for a gain of 22 yards, i am looking for the way to administer this on the option and who gets the ball. im looking for national federation rule on this.
Anytime A commits a LOD penalty on 4th down, the ball will go over to B after the penalty is assessed.

BTW, the ball goes over to B because A failed to make the line to gain, not because of the penalty. So don't confuse the two.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timharris
A=offense B=defense

thanks
It is really tough to administer so those who do not understand the rules will appreciate exactly what happens.

Rule 5-1-2 . . . A new series of downs is awarded:

a. After a first, second or third down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down and any dead-ball foul.
b. After a fourth down, a new series of downs shall be awarded only after considering the effect of any act during the down, other than a nonplayer or unsportsmanlike foul.

The enforcement spot will be the previous spot, if B accepts, and they will. Mark off half-the-distance and award the ball to A.

I am always looking for suggestions on how to signal this particular type of foul, fourth down and loss of down by the offense. One suggestion that I use is to signal the foul and loss of down at the previous spot. Then move to the succeeding spot and signal first down for the offense.

I would appreciate hearing others talk about how they do it. Sure would be nice to have a microphone like the NFL!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Why isn't doing the three signals of OPI, LOD and First Down for "B" in the preliminary phase and again after marking off the yardage good enought?
Maybe I'm missing the point of your question.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

For most of us it is more than enough.

I am thinking about the coaches, fans, etc. who don't know the signals and/or the rules and wonder how come you penalize them and give the ball to the other team.

My verbal explanation goes like this, "Pass interference on the offense. Half-the-distance to the goal and loss of down. [Signal all that stuff] By rule, the ball goes over on downs to B. First down"

I always verbalize my signals but they are not easy to hear. I just imagine some yo-yo talking about how the refs took the game away by penalizing us and giving the ball to them. Of course, he will probably still say that, but, maybe not.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I see what your after.
I would only be concerned about Team-A's coach and that's where we wings guys earn our stripes. We should be letting A's coach know as quickly as possible that LOD means just that, your team does not get to repeat the down and oh by the way, it is now first down for the other team.

I've occasionally heard the PA announcer inform the fans of what the signals are, but I don't really worry if they understand them or not. Yes a mic would be nice, but not many places use them.