The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Unfair tactics / unfair acts / unsportsmanlike conduct

On a run play, somebody from Team A sideline (or on the field) screams "pass, pass". That can confuse an opponent (well, more evident would it be in case of a draw or something similar) or that can even ridicule them (in case, it is obvious, that a run is played and despite that, they are unable to stop it).
Could this be penalizied as unfair act under Rule 9-2-3-c or unsportsmanlike conduct under RUle 9-1. Thanks
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona
On a run play, somebody from Team A sideline (or on the field) screams "pass, pass". That can confuse an opponent (well, more evident would it be in case of a draw or something similar) or that can even ridicule them (in case, it is obvious, that a run is played and despite that, they are unable to stop it).
Could this be penalizied as unfair act under Rule 9-2-3-c or unsportsmanlike conduct under RUle 9-1. Thanks
There is a saying..."Don't go looking for boogers" Don't try to make a foul out of something that trivial.
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 07:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
"Don't go looking for mucous hanging off someone's nose."
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Don't be a plumber.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon May 26, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can understand how you might think that, but shouting true or false information from off or on the field is considered customary and hence fair game.

The only tactic of that kind that's illegal is the use of "disconcerting" signals that are designed to simulate or drown out verbal signals to the snapper to snap the ball. At times some leagues which are otherwise playing by the rules of a major governing body have adopted additional restrictions, reserving certain words for the use of either team A or team B in the vicinity of the snapper. The NFL also used to have procedures to follow in case the audience was so loud that signals could not be heard (which included warnings and then a penalty on the home team), but those rules were abandoned when wireless audio was built into helmets.

Robert
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 07:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Barcelona,

It is worth mentioning that there may be a point of emphasis of unsportsmanship coming from the bench. In my area, we've had to be aware in recent years of verbal taunting coming from the bench. We're to flag it right away, or if it's somewhat benign, warn the violator.

So if you feel that a direct ridicule coming from the bench is something that you wouldn't tolerate on the field (either), I think that a flag for unsportsmanlike is certainly a thing to do.

Basically, we've instructed our benches to revert comments like "#32 [of the opposite team], you suck and you can't play football" to "Jimmy [teammate, and WR, being covered by #32], he's got nothing on you. You can beat him next play too."

I'm sure that's a mild example, but you get the idea.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue May 27, 2008 at 07:50am.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Alas, perhaps it's a generational thing, and it certainly differs by level, but all this "getting inside an opponents head" nonsense has done absolutely nothing to enhance or improve the game. It's not rocket science, anybody on either sideline, coaches, players, attendants, hangers on, have absolutely no business saying anything to an opponent on the field.

I can guarantee that if you allow silly remarks from the sideline, you will eventually have to deal with problem remarks. When play brings an opponent into the bench area, the same requirements apply and no coach, player, attendant or hanger on, should be allowed to jostle, bump or say anything disrespectful or insulting to that player.

We have nobody to blame for unnecessary incidences between sideline personnel and players more than ourselves. Regardless of level, we set the tone, and then we have to live with the tone we set.

I have never had a problem with any sideline, once they understood what I expected of them, and was prepared to enforce. (Well, never say never, but nobody could claim surprise with the results)

Last edited by ajmc; Tue May 27, 2008 at 09:46am.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Couldn't agree more, ajmc. In sportsmanship issues, fire a warning shot and let them know what's expected, and then follow through if they refuse to conform with the rules and spirit of sportsmanship. I would only add that we have an equal amount of responsibility in instilling sportsmanship in the players -- along with the coaches.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Let's get back to the original question. I don't consider shouting "pass, pass, pass" during a run play unfair or worth penalizing in any way. A player should not be listening to advice from an opponent's sideline about what kind of play is being run. And even if teams are sharing the same sideline, player's are taught to read keys, not listen to a sideline.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
"Don't go looking for mucous hanging off someone's nose."
Some people say it's gross, but really it's not.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I agree with what many others have said. Don't go looking for trouble on this one. Yelling "Pass!" on a draw play is nothing more than a verbal 'fake.' If you choose to get involved in flagging this kind of stuff, you're setting yourself up for a troublesome game.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I agree with what many others have said. Don't go looking for trouble on this one. Yelling "Pass!" on a draw play is nothing more than a verbal 'fake.' If you choose to get involved in flagging this kind of stuff, you're setting yourself up for a troublesome game.
Instead of focusing on possibly flagging the opponents for yelling pass, find a player with a sweat band over his elbow and flag that instead.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
I had a teammate whose father used to yell "pass!" on every play. I listened to that for 6 years!