The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NCAA Rule change? - Question #57 NCAA Test (https://forum.officiating.com/football/45016-ncaa-rule-change-question-57-ncaa-test.html)

ljudge Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:18am

NCAA Rule change? - Question #57 NCAA Test

Me and a colleague have went back and forth about a ruling for this year's NCAA test. There have been so many versions of the new rules posted I have no idea where they really landed on this stuff.

#57 - 3rd & 22 at @'s 10. Team A running back muffs a handoff from QB on A's 8. A Team B defender deliverately kicks the loose ball on A's 6. Team A QB recovers on A's 3 and is downed on A's 19.

A - A 3/7 @ A 25
B - A 1 / 10 @ A 34
C - A 3/ 11 @ A 21

I answered A because of a Rom Gilbert ruling that was recently posted. Here is Rom's question:

1. PLAY: First and 15 on A's 25. A14 takes the snap, runs toward the sideline, is hit and fumbles on A's 24. While the ball is loose, B99 grabs and holds A66 to keep A66 from recovering the ball. A88 picks up the ball on A's 22 and runs to A's 34 where he is downed in bounds.

1. RULING: A 1/5 A35. This is a significant rule change. The foul occurred during the first running play so will be enforced from the previous spot, A' s 25. If the foul occurred after A88 recovered the fumble, the penalty would be enforced from the end of A88's run, A's 34. It is crucial that the calling official know when the foul occurred. When asked when the foul occurred by the referee, "when would you have liked it to have occurred" is not an acceptable answer.

JugglingReferee Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljudge
#57 - 3rd & 22 at @'s 10. Team A running back muffs a handoff from QB on A's 8. A Team B defender deliverately kicks the loose ball on A's 6. Team A QB recovers on A's 3 and is downed on A's 19.

A - A 3/7 @ A 25
B - A 1 / 10 @ A 34
C - A 3/ 11 @ A 21

CANADIAN RULING:

Team B's deliberate kick (called a dribbled ball) broke the continuity of downs. Results: A 1D/10 @ A-19.

Quote:

1. PLAY: First and 15 on A's 25. A14 takes the snap, runs toward the sideline, is hit and fumbles on A's 24. While the ball is loose, B99 grabs and holds A66 to keep A66 from recovering the ball. A88 picks up the ball on A's 22 and runs to A's 34 where he is downed in bounds.

CANADIAN RULING:

B99 is guilty of Loose Ball Interference. Up here we don't take that foul lightly. Penalty is AFD to non-offending team at PF. A's choice:
  • decline the LBI, giving Team A 2D/6 @ A-34
  • accept the LBI, giving Team A 1D/10 @ point of B99's hold (unclear from the situation)

ML99 Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:21am

Quote:

If the foul occurred after A88 recovered the fumble, the penalty would be enforced from the end of A88's run, A's 34. ...

can someone explain to me why the penalty has to be enforced from the end of A88's run. which rule is associated with that? (NCAA)

ML99