The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Down indicator in cold weather (gloves) or for backup

Since we're into the offseason and have no real pressing topics, I thought I'd bring this up. I worked a cold weather game this year with gloves -- first for gloves as previous cold games weren't that cold -- one of the benefits of working in Texas. Anyway, I've gotten used to the feel of my down indicator, which is a piece of elastic sewed into an Under Armour sweat band. Works great all the time, except when you have gloves on. It got me to thinking: is there a down keeping backup system for games when the indicator on the fingers isn't practical? Also, the elastic could break during a regular game, making the indicator useless. I carry all sorts of stuff in my bag, and will add safety pins (and backup indicators, probably) but if this happens during play, we're out of luck until the half or between games.

Anyone use or know of a down keeping system that doesn't involve fingers? What about the ball/strike baseball indicators for cold weather/glove games?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Gloves?

Well, I guess if you have to... A guy I worked with has white down indicators so he can see them when wearing gloves.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've rarely used gloves up here in the northeast, but the one or two times I did. I used a white elastic band.

Hey, if it breaks big deal.. Keep another one in your back left pocket. I personally carry a spare clip, spare elastic band, a quick link chain repair, a couple of medium size (red) rubber bands and a couple small cable ties.
You don't even know it's there. If you have extra size rear-end, well maybe you don't need the clip. But the rest of the stuff takes up so little room, no one will notice.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Gloves? In cold weather? Sure, wimp or not. If my hands are cold, I'm going to be miserable. If my hands are warm, I'm not going to notice the weather at all.

As far as white, well, that doesn't really solve the issue. I go on feel more than look. Good ideas, though.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I never really had a problem with my elastic down and ball placement indicators with gloves on; and I wore them many times back north. Now umpiring baseball or softball and trying to use your indicator was not easy !
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Honig's has a new down indicator you can wear over a glove or your long sleeve. Its called the Slider Wrist Indicator (F84 is the model)
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scboa11
Honig's has a new down indicator you can wear over a glove or your long sleeve. Its called the Slider Wrist Indicator (F84 is the model)
http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=34&Item=1168
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

That's got possibilites.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I started using the slide version from Honig's this season after not liking the use of the elastic version on the same hand as my whistle. The whistle impeded use of the elastic version. At U I wear the down indicator on both hands, 1 for the down, and the other for tracking ball position between the hashmarks.

It took some getting used to, but I like the slide version. You can wear it over the top of long sleeves also.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

The slide thing is interesting, but what's the "4" for??

As you might expect, we end up needing gloves for many games up here, especially after mid October. I started using some diving or scuba gloves last year, and they work like a charm. As long as your hands are moving, it retains most of your body heat and they allow maximum dexterity, making the downs strap easy to handle.

I have used it to -25C (10 to 15 below F?) with success, but it might be too warm for the odd night you guys from Texas might "need" it.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Hoss, don't be short sighted! This thing could be used at the pub after the game to keep track of whose buying the next round!!!
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

In that case, both "3" and "4" are quite inadequate, eh?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I like that. I wonder if I would remember to actually move it, unlike I tend to do with my elastic.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 12:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard
The slide thing is interesting, but what's the "4" for??
That is kind of like when my chain crews ask me what the "55" on the clip is for.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you gotta love those extra 10 yards (and the 12.5 side to side). Two 50 yard lines, two 51's and so on.

Seems we like to duplicate things here...like when we (CFL) had two teams named RoughRiders (Ottawa and Saskatchewan) out of only 9 teams!