The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a good "question" worked up for this week, but did want to get everyone's input on cold weather gear.
Specifically, I'd be interested in hearing how you deal with the elements. What do you typically wear when you have bitter cold conditions (below freezing temperature combined with a strong wind), and what do you typically wear when you have a cold rain/snow game?

I've not had to work many games in rain/snow so don't have as much experience with those conditions. This year I wore an all black muff to keep my hands warm. I don't like to wear gloves - makes finding the flag, beanbag, pencil difficult. I am going to try a different type of glove for next season though, maybe in combination with the muff?? I do know the muff kept my hands dry during one rain game.
I'm sold on the UnderArmor (type) compression shorts/leggings and shirts. IMO, once you wear that stuff you never want to go back to regular t-shirts, etc.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Layers - and lots of them. I have a collection of cotton long sleeve shirts, turtle necks and mock turtle necks. As the temps continue to drop I'll add a windbeater, Under Armor Cold Gear top, and various other thermals.

I used to have a Wilson workout top that I'd wear for rain. I've had it for over 10 years and it's really starting to show its age. I had a similar product from Muzuno but all I did was sweat with it on. I've been lucky this year and avoided most of the heavy rain. When it comes I'll try to windbeater.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Was ready to bite the bullet and plunk down $50 for an UnderArmour Coldgear shirt but after I tried on about three of them, I found I didn't like how they felt - too constricting for me.

I ended up buying a thermal turtleneck advertised for skiing. I used it once and loved it. Snug but not really tight. $30.

I bought cold weather golf gloves and used them this year - worked great. Could slide my finger whistle over them, and could easily work the down marker on my hand (thicker gloves prevent both, especially the down marker - you can't feel it and it's hard to grab it to change the finger). I had also bought some fishing gloves with a neoprene palm and thermal backing. They were OK, but I had troubles with the down indicator.

I don't wear a lot because I think I live my life 20 degrees above evryone else. My problem is with heat, not cold. I wear a mesh shirt with no undershirt in anything over 75. Wish they made mesh knickers!
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Cold weather reffing? Finally, something us Canucks can offer some real insights into!!

Those of us out here in Western Canada don't run into rain all that much, but cold? OY, we know cold but good!

IMHO, two key elements of staying warm when the temps go below zero C (+32F), and that involves lots of layers above the waist and keeping your feet warm. First, the feet. If they're cold, the rest of you will be cold and you're already doomed. Two pairs of socks is a must, along with the stirrups, and you should be fine, as long as your cleats aren't too tight. If it gets below -18C (0F), and it does get that cold here in October believe it or not, then one of those little heat pads under the balls of your feet can work wonders.

The heat pads are a no brainer in the gloves if it gets super cold, and don't be afaid to wear some black sport/ski gloves as well. Yeah, the flags and beanbags and pencils are tougher to work, but if your hands get too cold, they just don't work, and that can cause problems gripping the flag in key situations, especially if you're an ex player like me and arthritis has long been your friend.

Up top, start with a lycra long sleeved shirt to wick the sweat away from your trunk and layer up after that with a t-shirt x 2, long sleeved Tneck and change wet layers between halves or games to stay dry. I bought one of those stiped jackets from Honigs last year for when things get desparate, but to me, that seems like a whimp out, but sometimes if you're doing a double headder in the evenings, it's worth the mocking of your crewmates!

Words of wisdom from the Great White North, where men are men and sheep are scared....eh?
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Under Armor is great, but it only keeps you warm, it does not protect you from the wind. And the warmth disapears with a strong wind. Therefore, you need a "barrier" (called a "shell" in outdoorspeak), and I strongly suggest that you get the windstopper shirt. This is an undershirt, so you can wear it under your regular uniform shirt.

Check it out here:
http://www.honigs.com/browse_products.asp?Cat=1&Sub=92

I have one myself, and it's great.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

A few guys in my association use the windstopper shirts, and say they're the greatest. I'm probably gonna pick one up sometime during the offseason.

As for the cold, layer up, I wear a sleeveless McDavid thing, long sleeve T-Shirt, turtleneck, striped shirt. Make sure you've got lots of extras to change into because when you run you sweat and if you're wet you're gonna be cold.

I really don't worry too much about below the waist, I've already got problems pulling the knickers up as it is .

Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Ben Montgomery (NFL retired) told me that the coldest he had ever been was in New England, and he actually wore a wet suit under his uniform. I really don't know how you can move in that, but it must have been mighty cold, because he said he could still feel the wind.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
hose of us out here in Western Canada don't run into rain all that much, but cold? OY, we know cold but good!
HossHumard, you aren't far enough west...in Vancouver and area they play with rubberized footballs because it rains so much that the leather balls weigh about 25 lbs by the end of the game

Thankfully this is a desert here but I do get to make the odd trip into rain weather.

Honigs has a rain cap that works pretty well (maybe POS has one too). The regular hats get soggy and fall of - looks goofy.

As for cold, the CFL guys use a belleclava (however you spell that) except the whole face is cut out - not just nose and eyes.

I have a pair of gloves with rubber stumps on them for grip - a must-have in the cold/wet. Only problem is that the stumps wear out with time so you have to keep replacing them.

Those windstopper shells are really very good in both cold and wet conditions. Honigs also started carrying a long sleve sweater with some kind of windstopper lining in them. One of my guys got one this year and swears by it for warmth.

It doesn't get bitterly cold here like it does on the prairies but my standard getup is long underwear, two layers of under shirts (one short sleeve, one long sleeve with turtle neck), gloves, and my regular hat. Never got too cold with that.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

As I'm a former dealer in outdoor goods, and an avid outdoorsman, I just felt I had to add this:

Stay away from cotton!

Cotton might feel nice, but when cotton gets wet (from sweat or rain), it will absorb the moisture and keep it there, which means that you will get cold. Cotton is a no-no.

You need something that wicks, especially as a base layer (next to skin). There's a plethora of different products out there, Under Armor, as mentioned, being a good one.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

By next season, I plan on having 3 cold gear Under Armours tops, one or two cold gear leggings, and a windstopper top and bottom. I will NEVER be cold, and not be all bulked up either.
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

1 layer of underarmour (top and bottom)
Turtle neck
NO GLOVES (hand warmers in muff)

Compression head hood

toe warmers in shoes
change socs and toe warmers at 1/2 time
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was in a local outdoor equipment store the other day and when I asked about "hand warmers" the guy asked whether I wanted the ones in the small packs or the (and I am not kidding on this), "the chemical ones that smolder."

I had visions of smoke coming out of my muff - and the coach on the sideline thinking - "hey, that ref's on fire, .....!!

Anyway, a couple of you have mentioned that you use "toe warmers" in your shoes. Do you have a specific brand that you use? I'm assuming you mean a disposable type.
Anyone use a battery powered hand warmer (that would fit in a muff)?

Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Has anyone used anything from Maxit?