The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

ASA Cold Weather Gear

As I've said in another thread, if ASA doesn't allow it, I typically don't wear it. However, I've yet to see anything from ASA regarding cold weather gear for umps. The lining in their "lined jacket" is a joke (not to mention the fact that it's not even remotely waterproof), and the only long-sleeves they have in their uniform is the mock turtleneck.

Let's face it, not all ball is played in 75-degree weather with beautiful sunshine, so does ASA have any concessions for umpires who are calling in the cold? If not, why the hell not? Even in NC, I've had to call in 30-degree weather when the season runs late.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I really don't care what ASA says, when I'm calling ball in Minnesota in mid to late October, I'm wearing everything I have to to stay warm. Same thing I tell the players - do whatever you have to in order to stay warm.

Same goes for April and NFHS ball.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Not trying to be the ASA apologist, here. The official ASA uniform covers visible garments, not undergarments. And visible undergarments (the collar of an undershirt, for example) are only governed by the color; white under powder blue shirt, navy blue under navy blue shirt.

So, you are free to wear, even in the finals of an ASA National, any added undergarments required; and layers of "Underarmor"-type garments are the best, lightest, etc., anyway; far better than any set of sweaters, jackets, or any other outerwear I have worn. The "cold weather" gear is outstanding.

Beyond that, black or navy blue gloves are generally acceptable. Underarmor also makes a navy blue head covering which is great complement to (and thin enough to) wear under your official ASA hat, and covers your ears from the wind. Those items sold by most major umpire equipment sales companies, if color compatible, are generally acceptable.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

And generally, that's what I do - wear black gloves (not patent leather, of course - just kidding!), throw on a few extra shirts, etc. If all I'm calling is rec ball, I don't care if someone doesn't like my black gloves. And MNBlue, I know exactly what you mean - I'm originally from Wisconsin, so my blood is a little thicker than most. Unfortunately, after 7 years of living in NC where it's currently 97 degrees, my tolerance has gone down slightly.

I just wish ASA would give some guidelines on what can be worn and what we should stay clear from during cold weather games. Perhaps sell something on their website?

I appreciate the good feedback, AtlUmpSteve.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
And generally, that's what I do - wear black gloves (not patent leather, of course - just kidding!), throw on a few extra shirts, etc. If all I'm calling is rec ball, I don't care if someone doesn't like my black gloves. And MNBlue, I know exactly what you mean - I'm originally from Wisconsin, so my blood is a little thicker than most.
You would have to be the way the Packers have been playing.

Quote:
Unfortunately, after 7 years of living in NC where it's currently 97 degrees, my tolerance has gone down slightly.

I just wish ASA would give some guidelines on what can be worn and what we should stay clear from during cold weather games. Perhaps sell something on their website?
Steve is right on target. What you wear under that jacket is up to you. What usually gets some people irked is when an umpire throws on a sweatshirt or something and then doesn't put the jacket over it.

Personally, I think the ASA jackets are quite warm which is why I will not wear the pullover. I believe ASA has introduced new gear that could be worn locally (hell, you can wear anything locally).

About 8 years ago, ASA was working on something "waterproof", but since the game really isn't supposed to be played in the rain (yeah, yeah, I know!), maybe they figured there wouldn't be enough demand to make it worthwhile.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
About 8 years ago, ASA was working on something "waterproof", but since the game really isn't supposed to be played in the rain (yeah, yeah, I know!), maybe they figured there wouldn't be enough demand to make it worthwhile.
Ahem.

Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate all the good responses, guys. Perhaps ASA should put something down in writing for us all to see and abide by. Just one more thing to help keep our uniforms exactly that: uniform! It would also be one less place to potentially get dinged on a ump's eval.

While most tourneys do take place in the summer months in areas that can get cold, even the warmest of environments get bizarre cold spells at the most inopportune moments. I've seen umpires with white gloves, I've seen umpires with black gloves. I've seen umpires with blue sweatshirts under their jackets that are visible, and I've seen umpires with black sweatshirts. Many of these umps even call at the national level, and I look to them for guidance when I call with them. However, in this case, seeing the variance I've seen from even the vets, it's never clear to me that ASA accepts one method over another.

In the end, I throw on my old pair of black batter's gloves, toss a couple of those heat packets into my pockets, and don an extra pair o' socks when the temp dips. Works "darn good" for me.

Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.officialgear.com/shop.asp...d=L2030&scatid=

Though listed under Leisure Wear, I don't see where anyone would have a problem wearing any of these jackets, sweatshirts or pants during cold weather games.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
My pullover is waterproof. Until the Scotchgard runs out...then I have to spray it again.