The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Removing Patches

Should I bother removing the Illinois patches from my stripes now that I've moved to Arizona or should I just buy new shirts?

And if I should remove them, what's the best way? They're stitched on, so will a seam-ripper ruin the sleeve?

Just curious to gather your feedback, if you've replaced stitched-on patches before or just said to heck with it and bought new shirts.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I had no problem--- OK-- MrsO had no problem removing my old Syracuse Official's patches from my sleeves and affixing the FHSAA logos on the pockets of my shirts when I moved here from CNY.
Good luck !
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have taken my shirts to a uniform shop that did a fine job removing my patches in the past. Then again they hardly charge anything and they would be better at that thing than I would be.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

We get new patches every year in Indiana so we have to remove the old ones. My wife uses a seam ripper (I think that's what it is called) and it removed them OK. After a couple years, small holes do start to develop where the stitches were but that's usually not an issue since the new patch goes over it. In 2006 they used a much smaller patch which didn't look good on the worn shirts. Last year then went back to the regular patch and all was good again.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in Arizona, but not a football official.

I know for most of the other sports, the AIA has required the officials shirts for HS games that have the AIA emblem embroidered on the shirts - patches are no more.

It may be different in Football - patches still allowed for a certain period of time. I do know that if you worked an AIA football game in a shirt with your Illinois patches on it, there could be repercussions. I don't know what other football you may work, (Pop Warner, JC, etc) and what the uniform requirements may be.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I do know that if you worked an AIA football game in a shirt with your Illinois patches on it, there could be repercussions.
I did, and there weren't. But it was just the one game.

I guess I'll find out from the state what they require and go from there. If I have to get new shirts and use these as backups, I will.

Quote:
I don't know what other football you may work, (Pop Warner, JC, etc) and what the uniform requirements may be.
I'll find out. Thanks!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 03:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Should I bother removing the Illinois patches from my stripes now that I've moved to Arizona or should I just buy new shirts?

And if I should remove them, what's the best way? They're stitched on, so will a seam-ripper ruin the sleeve?

Just curious to gather your feedback, if you've replaced stitched-on patches before or just said to heck with it and bought new shirts.
Thank goodness Wisconsin has a "clean shirt" policy for officials. I love not having any patches on my shirts.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Thank goodness Wisconsin has a "clean shirt" policy for officials. I love not having any patches on my shirts.
REPLY: Can I move to Wisconsin ??? We even have hat patches!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 04:40pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Same in California (might vary by association). It's great being able to use the same uniforms for youth and high school football.

Do you have anything on your baseball uniforms? My association wants us to have our shirts and jackets embroidered with their initials.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
I've seen hat patches and, with all due respect, they are the ugliest, cheesiest looking things on a uniform. I think the NFL looks cheap with the emblem on the hat. I must be old-fashioned because I like a nice clean, professional-looking uniform that does not draw attention to it.

Here in ND, we got rid of shirt patches many years ago and never had hat patches.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Same in California (might vary by association). It's great being able to use the same uniforms for youth and high school football.

Do you have anything on your baseball uniforms? My association wants us to have our shirts and jackets embroidered with their initials.
Nothing. Not a thing.

Many of us wear numbers, but those are meaningless (except to the wearer).
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I love not having any patches on my shirts.
This is the smart move. Its not like the patches do anything in terms of identifying you. If the stripped shirt isn't a clue, its hopeless. I realize there's differences in some states as far as certification goes, but its still unnecessary.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Our exec board allowed us to remove them two years ago from the hats. The state found out and we got in a bit of hot water. We had to go back to them last year or forfeit playoff games.

You would think when they saw how better it looked they would make the change. Probably b/c we need to purchase them and it's another source of income they would lose.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
Our exec board allowed us to remove them two years ago from the hats. The state found out and we got in a bit of hot water. We had to go back to them last year or forfeit playoff games.

You would think when they saw how better it looked they would make the change. Probably b/c we need to purchase them and it's another source of income they would lose.
I don't have a problem with a hat patch, per se. I do have a problem with our ugly a$$ hat patch! Our sleeve patch isn't too much better, either.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I did, and there weren't. But it was just the one game.

I guess I'll find out from the state what they require and go from there. If I have to get new shirts and use these as backups, I will.

I'll find out. Thanks!
No problem....As I mentioned, I don't do football, but I have a few buddies that do. If you want to send me a PM, I will give you some names and numbers for guys in and around Glendale. I live in Peoria, so we are next door neighbors......