The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Sweet, thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

My initial thought is the patches are a quick verification that you are licensed. I get three patches every year though (and I think I can order more) so it would be very easy to give one to a buddy. Otherwise I'm not sure what purpose they server. Maybe it was a common thing to do years ago and nobody has ever asked the question.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Oklahoma had officials patches required on the left sleeve of game officials shirts in all sports, as well as a "Say no to Drugs" patch on the right sleeve, until 6 or 7 years ago. Now none are required. I believe this was a good decission and the unadorned shirts look "cleaner".
There is a crew option to have an American flag attached to the shirt.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'll tell you one thing: if you have ever worked across state lines, you would jump for joy over the "no patch" decorum. I don't know how many times I have scurried around trying to find another shirt because something happened, and have to "tack" a patch on for the game. Not to mention, in football at least, a long and short shirt for one side of the river and another long and short for the other. 4 shirts to keep maintained. That's just one set. I like to have two sets of gear in case they don't make it to the washer in time. Just keep doing the math.
But, I will comply with the patch because that is just another rule we must follow. That's the breaks!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Michigan requires new patches every year.
The last few have been the same size circle, but there was a time when rectangles were followed by circles.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mick

I believe Michigan is going to issue permanent patches starting next year.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI
Mick

I believe Michigan is going to issue permanent patches starting next year.
Interesting.
I would have thought those were money makers for the MHSAA.
Although they are only a $1 bill per, I generally bought 3 or 4 more than they sent with the registration.
Maybe the costs that folks paid for extras didn't offset the costs for the patches they 'gave' away.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Should I bother removing the Illinois patches from my stripes now that I've moved to Arizona or should I just buy new shirts?

And if I should remove them, what's the best way? They're stitched on, so will a seam-ripper ruin the sleeve?

Just curious to gather your feedback, if you've replaced stitched-on patches before or just said to heck with it and bought new shirts.

What did you do with your long sleeve shirts, I don't think you'll need them in AZ.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 08:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster
Well, I'll tell you one thing: if you have ever worked across state lines, you would jump for joy over the "no patch" decorum. I don't know how many times I have scurried around trying to find another shirt because something happened, and have to "tack" a patch on for the game. Not to mention, in football at least, a long and short shirt for one side of the river and another long and short for the other. 4 shirts to keep maintained. That's just one set. I like to have two sets of gear in case they don't make it to the washer in time. Just keep doing the math.
But, I will comply with the patch because that is just another rule we must follow. That's the breaks!
My crew works a game across the state line every year where they require patches. We simply don't wear any and nobody has reported us in six years. If they did and we got grief, our schedule would simply be lightened by one game.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH
What did you do with your long sleeve shirts, I don't think you'll need them in AZ.
I had one long-sleeved shirt (lined) that came in handy back in Illinois. I don't expect to ever need it here, no. Then again, I don't intend to be here forever.

And if anything ever comes up in the off-season (like they had some high school all-star type games between US teams and Mexican teams as part of the Super Bowl run-up), it might come in handy. It can get nippy here in the winter. Or freezing rain like we got today.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard that MI was getting rid of the patches before and it never happened. I sewed black and white velcro stripes to my shirt and just put new velcro on the patch each year. For Baseball I use a magnet and have never had a problem.