The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Number 80 is lined up as third player from center.
Third FROM center, meaning outside the normal tackle position? Or, in the tackle position?

Under NCAA rules, if the former, he is eligible. If the latter, he is ineligible. 1-4-2-b. If ineligible initially, he remains ineligible even after a shift.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

This would also affect the muddle huddle type set up on an extra point attempt when team then shifts into a traditional formation. For example the team attempting the try lines up in this formation:

..........42....................................80 .62.44.52.55.35
..............................................40.. ......................38

After the shift, the formation looks like this:

Assuming I am reading this ruling correctly, #80 is an ineligible receiver because he assumed an inital position on the line between the ends and the kicking team is using the numbering exception. #35 remains eligible because he was an end in the initial formation and remains an end in the formation after the shift. So, if there is a bad snap or bobble by the holder, or a fake, and #80 heads downfield, I've got a penalty.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Jim...thanks. If case play 7.2.5D also said that at the snap there were five offensive linemen numbered 50-79, I'd consider myself corrected. But it doesn't and I've never seen an interpretation or case play that does. In fact, based upon the way 7.2.5D is worded, it's clear that no additional ineligible numbers shifted onto the line. Therefore this play does not illustrate that same situation I did in my post. And I fully agree with the case play that if there are less than five 50-79 on the line at the snap, #33 certainly remains ineligible throughout the down.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, OK, I see your point. Based on what is actually written in the rules, I agree with your opinion as written.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I take the term "initial position" to mean just that, the initial position assumed prior to shifts/motions. Per Webster on line "initial" means
1 : of or relating to the beginning : INCIPIENT
2 : placed at the beginning : FIRST.

The entire point of the rule, in my opinion, is to not allow A to use shifts and motion to suddenly make an ineligible player eligible while using the number exception. So in the example, 61 is not on the line in the initial position, and therefore is not considered for numbering exception rules for the rest of the down. Only those players on the line matter for numbering exceptions from their initial positions.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 06:14pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Simply put...

If during a scrimmage kick one lines up on the line and is ineliglible that person remains ineligible for the remainder of the down regardless of thier number or positioning at the snap.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L
Personally, I take the term "initial position" to mean just that, the initial position assumed prior to shifts/motions.
How far would you take that? Suppose they lined up:

..............50.........51.........52...........5 3...........80.............54
........46........47.....................48....... ......................49

and #10 ten yards behind the snapper. And then they shifted into:

......46.....50..........51.........52.....48..... 53..........80
.....................47........................... ........................49.....54

with #10 still ten yards behind the snapper. The way they first lined up was an illegal formation just for not having 7 on the line, although they did have five numbered 50-79. Does 80 become eligible after the shift, or does the way they lined up first "not count" as "initial position" because they couldn't've legally snapped the ball from it?

Robert
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Your initial formation is not using the numbering exception. The numbering exception has nothing to do with having a legal formation as to 7 on the line, it only takes effect when there are fewer than 5 50-79 players in a scrimmage kick formation. Those requirements were met in the initial formation. After the shift 80 was uncovered and became eligible and the number exception went into effect. If K shifts again and the numbering exception is still being used then, say 48 moves back and 49 moves up, then 48 still isn't eligible. But if 49 moves up I would say that 80 just became ineligible.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Robert,
Pretty much what Warrenkicker said. Your first formation does not involve the numberig exception. You have the 5 players you need on the line, so none of the rules regarding numbering exeption apply. Any additional "problems" do not necessarily effect this rule.
Now then, after your shift, numbering exception does apply and for the purpose of that rule, this is the "initial position". No matter what they do after this point, 48 cannot become eligible.