The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Defensive Holding

Can the defense hold if the ball is thrown behind the line of scrimmage?
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Certainly. If the contact is on the potential receiver, you'd probably call DPI. However, a take down on the other side of the field would be a hold as well as a hold on the line of the scrimmage (defensive lineman pulling a blocker aside so a line backer can blitz).
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
Certainly. If the contact is on the potential receiver, you'd probably call DPI. However, a take down on the other side of the field would be a hold as well as a hold on the line of the scrimmage (defensive lineman pulling a blocker aside so a line backer can blitz).

you answered certainly then you go on to say it is a penalty. which one is it. i believe the answer to the original question should be no, the defense can't hold.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan
you answered certainly then you go on to say it is a penalty. which one is it. i believe the answer to the original question should be no, the defense can't hold.
You misunderstood my response. The defense can hold on a pass beyond the line of scrimmage - It can hold the receiver (although this is also pass interference and that's the call you'd make). It can also hold a receiver away from the pass (this can't be pass interference) and it can hold on the line.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

OK, I misread the question - it's can the defense hold on a pass behind the line. The answer is the same though. They can hold a potential receiver down field and they can hold on the line.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

To help clarify. On a pass behind the line of scrimmage, there is no pass interferance. However, if the Defense holds or tackles the receiver then you do have Defensive Holding. The Defense can hit the receiver with no penalty, but they can not restrain them or tackle them without the ball.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

it can occur anywhere

Where the pass is relative to the line of scrimmage has absolutley no bearing on defensive holding. If it warrants a flag and meets all the philosophical criteria that are followed in your area, you have holding. The only call that the location of the pass relative the LOS will affect is DPI. DPI is only possible on a pass that crosses the LOS. If a back goes out in the flat behind the LOS and is thrown a pass and the defensive back comes up and tackles him before the pass arrives, you would have holding, but not DPI. If the same play occurs beyond the LOS you would have DPI not holding.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the help.