The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGardner
I would agree with Walt. The middle draw where the QB and O-Line have done a good job of creating a "pass read" so U is moving up to the LOS, then O-Line and RB fire straight back up the middle leaves the U with players in the front coming at him with 1 or more linebackers coming hard from his back. I can attest to the fact that the suggestion of "stay planted and let the RB go left or right around you" does not work real good on this kind of draw.
I think they'll avoid you if you get a reputation as a good tackler.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
I think it'd strongly affect the game. Like when the IWFL (or at least the local team) cheaped out and went to 4 man crews -- fine if you have games with little or no passing, but when they pass a lot it really affects the game vs. the 5- or 6-man crews other leagues were using.

Robert
We're in a place where the schools' association has steadfastly refused to go to 5-man. Speaking from that experience, the difference between four and five officials on the field is immense, and moving from five to four is a really poor decision.

Moving the umpire to the offensive backfield would be an order of magnitude worse. (And this from the guy that HATES to work in the umpire slot.) His presence on the defensive side of the ball has such a positive effect on game control that no amount of improved visibility (which I question anyway) is worth giving that up.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Last season, in the state quarterfinals, I got caught up in a draw play just as you described. The runner, his lead blocker, several defenders, and I all met at the same spot. I was in the middle with players all around so I did not go down. But it was a tense moment to be sure.

Does anybody have tips on reading the draw or the middle screen?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick KY
Last season, in the state quarterfinals, I got caught up in a draw play just as you described. The runner, his lead blocker, several defenders, and I all met at the same spot. I was in the middle with players all around so I did not go down. But it was a tense moment to be sure.

Does anybody have tips on reading the draw or the middle screen?
Of course you'd be most concerned about a middle draw (or the middle screen). If you look at how they coach blocking schemes, middle screens (and to some extent draws) stick out in that they'll have the guards doing opposite things. If at least one guard pulls, you're probably safe (though not against a trap). Usually on non-pull plays the guards will be blocking in the same direction, left or right. If you see the RG blocking left, and the LG blocking right -- in other words, each one is giving the defender the inside, then you have a problem. If you see each one giving the defender the outside, you're probably seeing pass protection, but that could easily develop into a middle draw if they do it to an extreme.

However, if you see the middle of the line all cut block, then you have a quick pass over the middle!

Robert