The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Is there any such ruling on a self pass? The shooter attempts a shot and follow it and the ball never hit anything, he retrieved his own shot and made the basket. Is there any violation?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Is there any such ruling on a self pass? The shooter attempts a shot and follow it and the ball never hit anything, he retrieved his own shot and made the basket. Is there any violation?
I think it used to be a violation but that was before my officiating days began. If A1 shoots and misses, he can go get the rebound regardless of whether it hits rim, backboard or air. You, the official are the one who determines if it was a shot attempt no matter how feeble it may look.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Case book play 4.43SitB. Been in there a long time.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

As is occasionally the case, this is an NBA rule that fans think is universal.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

In the NBA, the play described is traveling.

10-XIV-i A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

"Self-pass" is a schoolyard call.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thanks, found it!
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Self-pass is one of those blithering obfuscations.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
In the NBA, the play described is traveling.

10-XIV-i A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

"Self-pass" is a schoolyard call.
If, for example, a player incontrol of the ball, who has not yet dribbled, attempts a pass, tries to pull the string, and throws the ball howsoever unintentionally, the player may recover the ball. The player has used up his/her dribble.

But, as happened tonight, a player dribbling the ball, picks up the dribble, THEN loses the ball and recovers it, double dribble.

The crowd tonight didn't think so, but I saw what I saw . . .
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 02:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
[/B]
But, as happened tonight, a player dribbling the ball, picks up the dribble, THEN loses the ball and recovers it, double dribble.

The crowd tonight didn't think so, but I saw what I saw . . . [/B][/QUOTE]Losing the ball is legal if it's a fumble. You can recover it, but you can't dribble.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

The crowd tonight didn't think so, but I saw what I saw . . . [/B]
Losing the ball is legal if it's a fumble. You can recover it, but you can't dribble. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not, in my view, if you control it first. The losing it was the result of trying to do something with it. Just because it didn't work out, you don't get a do-over.
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, your personal view doesn't matter. The rules matter. JR is right. A player can always go grab the ball after a fumble. Take a close look at the following:

Rule 4 SECTION 21 FUMBLE
A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp.

Rule 4 Section 15 Article 4
NOTE 2: A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.

Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 06:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Unfortunately, your personal view doesn't matter. The rules matter. JR is right. A player can always go grab the ball after a fumble. Take a close look at the following:

Rule 4 SECTION 21 FUMBLE
A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp.

NOTE 2: A player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumbles, or when he/she bats a rebound or pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.

And to add to what Nevada said, see case book play 4.15.4SitD(d):
While dribbling,A1 fumbles the ball in ending the dribble so that A1 must run to recover it.
RULING: The dribble ended in (d) when it was fumbled. Even though the dribble had ended..., A1 may recover the ball.

Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

In this case I thought she was

Quote:
Quote:

Rule 4 SECTION 21 FUMBLE

While dribbling,A1 fumbles the ball in ending the dribble so that A1 must run to recover it.
RULING: The dribble ended in (d) when it was fumbled. Even though the dribble had ended..., A1 may recover the ball.

In this case I thought she was trying the do something with it, pass it up ahead. She was simply trying to end the dribble. That's what got my attention. It didn't strike me as a fumble, to use a word with mediocre definition, but as a 'flub'. Whether or not I was right about that, I don't know . . .
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Remember, you can FUMBLE-DRIBBLE-FUMBLE, but you cannot DRIBBLE-FUMBLE-DRIBBLE!

The play described by assignmentmaker is legal. If you have used your dribble and you FUMBLE, you can recover it, absolutely!
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: In this case I thought she was

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rule 4 SECTION 21 FUMBLE

In this case I thought she was trying the do something with it, pass it up ahead. She was simply trying to end the dribble. That's what got my attention. It didn't strike me as a fumble, to use a word with mediocre definition, but as a 'flub'. Whether or not I was right about that, I don't know . . .
You may not like the way it's defined, but it doesn't change the fact. The rules don't differentiate between your various levels of fumble and flub. The crowd was right, and next time I properly no-call this I'm blaming you for the crowd response.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Holy cow. You mean I got it right tonight? They yelled their head off at me. I didn't think it was a travel. Holy cow. Learn something new every day.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.