The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Coaches box

Had an issue yesterday. Linejudge on are side decides from the very begging to enforce the coaches box rule. Fine we as players ablige and stay behind the line. He however goes off on the coaching staff for standing off the field of play but infront of the line. One time the coach called me over as I was going to sub in and all I heard during the play was player back up. Finnaly i guess he had enough but a few plays later the ref gave are headcoach a sideline warning for being a few inches on the field 15 yards downfield, while the ball was being set, o yead did i mention are coach was signalling in a play. If this is how it is suppose to be enforced well then I don't agree with it but I respect it. my question is how hard should this be enforced and do u think the ref went to far. Thanks
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Well let's see, you are asking if coaches are allowed to be on the field? The answer is no, the fact that they are signalling in a play is irrelevant.

And players may not be in the coaches box, only 3 coaches may be in the coaches box.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Only three coaches are allowed in the coaching box. All others should be in the team box. No coaches should be on the field.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
Finnaly i guess he had enough but a few plays later the ref gave are headcoach a sideline warning for being a few inches on the field 15 yards downfield, while the ball was being set, o yead did i mention are coach was signalling in a play.
Fonzzy07, The question you need ask yourself....does a "few INCHES" make THAT much of a difference? I mean, without encroaching on those few inches on the field do you really think the players wouldn't be able to see the signals?

It's been rumored that officiating crews who allowed coaches onto the field (even slightly) without flagging it had lost opportunities for working the state playoff tournament. We heard there were "spotters" from the state athletic association who were often sent to stadiums without us knowing about it and "dinging" the officials for allowing coaches onto the fields.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Linejudge on are side decides from the very begging to enforce the coaches box rule.

The LJ was 'begging' the coaches to abide by the rules?

Bob
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
Linejudge on are side decides from the very begging to enforce the coaches box rule.

The LJ was 'begging' the coaches to abide by the rules?

Bob
REPLY I think he meant "from the very beggining."
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Also, each time you see "are" substitute "our". Sorry the english teacher in me.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
And I think you meant "beginning"...
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Leave the poor kid alone. If he had any brains he wouldn't be playing football in the first place.

I'm all for sideline control, but I'm not as zeolous as some of you guys. I don't really care how many are in the box so long as they're not causing any problems. I kind of feel like I have bigger fish to fry. No?
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
Leave the poor kid alone. If he had any brains he wouldn't be playing football in the first place.

I'm all for sideline control, but I'm not as zeolous as some of you guys. I don't really care how many are in the box so long as they're not causing any problems. I kind of feel like I have bigger fish to fry. No?
You are the reason why officials can't control the team box the next friday. It's because not everyone wants to enforce the rule how it should be done. For me, it would be great to have ZERO coaches in the box (like NCAA) because I love the room to work (LJ and even HL). I hate running into coaches and not being able to back out when coaches are in the box. It is for the saftey of myself and the players of both teams.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire
REPLY: At my age, even the fingers move quicker than the brain!
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
You are the reason why officials can't control the team box the next friday. It's because not everyone wants to enforce the rule how it should be done. For me, it would be great to have ZERO coaches in the box (like NCAA) because I love the room to work (LJ and even HL). I hate running into coaches and not being able to back out when coaches are in the box. It is for the saftey of myself and the players of both teams.
REPLY I agree with you that the Fed should go back to their old coaches-in-the-team-box rule like the NCAA. But...you can't easily put the genie back into the bottle.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire

In baseball it is the Big Inning.

I've never been begged to throw a flag. For me the "are" and "our" issue is not the English teacher in me, it's the trying to understand English issue.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Maybe. Or, maybe you are the reason that coaches think that we are militant jerks who worry about the minutia to the exclusion of what's really important. I have never one time had a problem with controlling my sideline. However, my point was that I don't spend a bunch of time trying to determine who should or shouldn't be in the box while the game is going on.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat

Thanks for making life harder for the rest of us. So it's YOU they are referring to when they say, "But they didn't make us do it LAST week!". The bane of all officials.