The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Clock Procedure for High School?

For some of us that work both, what do you think about the NCAA rule with clock operation starting procedures?

Would you like to see this in high school?

The clock starts at the kick, not at touching by R

starts on RFP after each loss of possession.

It even starts IF B was suppose to get the ball but A retains due to some type of penalty on B at the READY.

It is shortening the games considerably at the college level and much more at the lower division due to them not having the television coverage. I think the committee will revisit this next year. It has changed the game more than any rule change in quiet sometime. Coaches have had to change the way the coach and manage the clock.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

No, not in high school. The average game last season for high schools nationally was (I believe) 2:22. One of my games ended in 1:45 two years ago and that was a 100% honest clock.

I'm looking to move to college next season assuming I make it through the screening process. Since I'm a recent applicant I have been invited by some officials to show up at college scrimmages and the crews have been putting me on the field. I worked at Rowan Univerisity last week (a D-III school) and this topic came up with the head coach who serves on a rules committee. He said this was clearly for the network stuff (D-1A) as you already know. For Div II and III, they don't care for it.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

When the high schools went to starting the clock on
the snap after kicks and changes of possesion, it prolonged
all too many games; sometimes adding up to 15 minutes
to a game. I hope they change it back.
I worked some D-3 years ago and those games were
way too long !!
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I would have no problem reverting back to the NF 1995 timing rule.
It's my personal opinion that high school games are taking longer now because of the passing game. Many of the old school traditional run oriented teams have added more pass plays to their playbooks. That means more clock stoppages due to incompletions. In my game last night, the combined pass stats were 11 of 38 for both teams for 272 yards. Both teams have been grind it out teams in the past years.

I wonder how that national average time was obtained. I know of no one in my area of the state who provides game length information nor was asked too up the line. We're not asked to keep that information as officials.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
It even starts IF B was suppose to get the ball but A retains due to some type of penalty on B at the READY.
FYI They got rid of this interpretation.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Theisey, I believe I read 2:22 in referee magazine. I, nor anyone I know, has been asked either. For a statistic to be considered a "national average" I was told in a stat class in my undergrad program that you need a survey of 1,500 (which surprises me...I thought it would be way more). The margin of error is +/- 4%. All of my games are right around 2 1/2 hours. My longest was 3 hours but that was with over 80 points scored, a lot of passing, and a fair amount of penalties.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
The NCAA changed this interpretation of the rule change (however, with little/no backing in the rules for it). The only time the clock starts on the ready now is if B is actually the next team to snap the ball.

Yet another example of the NCAA changing rules and then not realizing how they write things screws everything up.
Old Mon Sep 04, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, Texas coaches told the UIL/TASO they didn't want shorter games. According to what I heard, they said they had a hard enough time keeping kids interested -- I guess due to the fact that they practice 8-10 hours for only an hour and a half to two and a half hours of actual play.