The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Arrow

Hello-

I just wanted the correct rules interprutation on a situation that happened to me this past Friday. Boys Junior Varsity game, in Ohio.

Player A fouls player B. Team B is in the bonus and will be shooting 1 and 1. After player B gets fouled, player B one hand shoves player A. Technical fould called on player B. The technical foul gives player B 5 fouls.

Now, the question is: Does player B get to shoot the one and one since that foul occurred BEFORE his technical foul, and we are supposed to execute the shots in the order that the fouls occurred? Or, is player B gone and a sub shoots the 1 and 1? I checked rule 8.2 and it is still unclear to me, and the case book didn't have anything specific regarding the situation.

Thanks in advance!
Jim
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by jtarantine
Hello-

I just wanted the correct rules interprutation on a situation that happened to me this past Friday. Boys Junior Varsity game, in Ohio.

Player A fouls player B. Team B is in the bonus and will be shooting 1 and 1. After player B gets fouled, player B one hand shoves player A. Technical fould called on player B. The technical foul gives player B 5 fouls.

Now, the question is: Does player B get to shoot the one and one since that foul occurred BEFORE his technical foul, and we are supposed to execute the shots in the order that the fouls occurred? Or, is player B gone and a sub shoots the 1 and 1? I checked rule 8.2 and it is still unclear to me, and the case book didn't have anything specific regarding the situation.

Thanks in advance!
Jim
B's sub must shoot the 1 and 1, with the lane clear. You then walk to the other end and a designated shooter for team A will shoot the 2. A then gets the ball at the division line.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

the substitute must shoot the FT's as B1 has been disqualified before the FT attempts. 8.2 is clear to me when it says "If such a player must withdraw because of an injury or DISQUALIFICATION, his/ her substitute shall attempt the throw(s)..."
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad it was clear to you. It wasn't to me. Thank you for your replies.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

When a player fouls out, he must leave the game before the ball becomes live again. Therefore, he cannot shoot FTs. His sub must shoot them. That's always the case, no matter the scenario.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

and a designated shooter
Or shooter(s).
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

and a designated shooter
Or shooter(s).
Always good to remind everyone--as we often have new and/or different readers on this board--of the complete ruling you are referring to Mark. The team shooting the fouls shots for the technical, is allowed to have different players shoot each shot. Nice reminder, Mark.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Jim,
As others have told you the proper procedure is to disqualify B1 BEFORE the 1-and-1 is administered and his replacement will shoot for him.

However, I thought that I would point out a nuance for your edification and amusement since it happened to a friend of mine.

Same play as yours, but the scorer fails to notify the officials that the T is B1's fifth foul until after she has shot AND MADE both FTs due to the personal foul.
By rule, B1's points stand in this case. Since the officials did not inform the coach, B1 was never disqualified. (4-14-2) You will find this stated in 2-11-11 Note 2.

Sadly, my friend thought that it was a correctable error (wrong player shooting) and wiped out the points and reshot the FTs with the substitute, who missed them both.
We got to tease him about it for quite a while though.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Thanks again for all of your replies. well, in case you are wondering, here's what we did (2 man, mind you).

I told the coach that it was the player's 5th foul and he was disqualified, therefore a sub would shoot the 1 and 1. My partner (a more 'experienced' official) told me that the player was fouled before the T, so he gets to shoot. I relented to my P and the 'disqualified' player shot the 1/1. Didn't have any effect on the outcome, but was wrong nonetheless. The varsity officials were split on the procedure as well. But, we got it cleared up now.