The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

This year I joined a new crew as a WH. I work with four fine officials with lots of experience (77 years among them). In fact, in moving to a new position, I'm likely the one in most need for improvement. However, I think that we all can improve. Therefore, I am considering sending each crew member an individual evaluation citing his strengths and areas for possible improvement. Does anyone else do this? Do you folks think this is a good idea or a recipe for disaster? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat

This year I joined a new crew as a WH. I work with four fine officials with lots of experience (77 years among them). In fact, in moving to a new position, I'm likely the one in most need for improvement. However, I think that we all can improve. Therefore, I am considering sending each crew member an individual evaluation citing his strengths and areas for possible improvement. Does anyone else do this? Do you folks think this is a good idea or a recipe for disaster? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Be careful. I discussed doing this with my crew a few years back. I am one who wants to be criticized to improve, but one of the guys was not hot on it, and the other 4 guys on my crew are pretty good friends of mine. You joining a new crew, and the others being more experienced, you had better really be careful.

This is what I did, I still had it on my computer.

I have been thinking for quite a while about what we can do to finish out the year. What I want to do is for everyone to do is analyze yourself, each other, and our crew as a whole. Email me your comments, I will formulate them into one big document and email it to each of you. Your email to me needs to include; 3 things you feel you do well, and 3 things you need to improve on. Two things we do well as a crew and 2 things we as a crew need to work on. The last thing is very important for us. Constructive criticism is important for all of us to improve individually, which will help us to improve as a crew. List 2 things you think the each other guys does well and 2 things they each need to work on. These can be things they can do to help you in your position or just other things we have noticed or discussed. We need to take these “improvement” suggestions from each other the right way. The goal of this is to look at ourselves and each other and see how we can improve. Take the criticism with that in mind. We get along well, and this should not hurt, but help our crew and our relationships. If everyone list the same things I need to work on for example, I really better focus on that next year cuz obviously it is something noticed by all.

This will take some time, but will be very important in our growing as individuals and a crew!

If you are going to make a smart *** comment about something someone does well or needs to improve on, fine, but it must be above and beyond the requirements of 3 good and bad for you, and 2 good and bad for the crew and each other crew member.
So, minimum of 3 good and bad for you, and 2 good and bad for the crew, and each other crew member.
Complete sentences not needed. Copy and use the sample below if you want.
Monte
Things I do well

Things I need to improve

Mark
Does well

Needs to improve

Marly
Does well
Needs to improve
Todd
Does well
Needs to improve

Bill
Does well
Needs to improve

One of my guys did it for me, and me for him, and we thought it was great, and made us better. When I did not get a response from the others, I found out they were skeptical about what their negatives would be, so we decided to discontinue it. We do discuss things to improve on, as a crew, and as individuals, but try to do so in a positive way. I thought this would do the same, but did not want to force the issue. Personally, I take all criticism I received from coaches while I was playing, whether it was them screaming at me, or in a nice way, as ways for me to improve. I have the same approach in officiating and that is why I thought it would be good.

What might be better would be to have a neutral, knowledgable observer watch and take notes on your crew as a whole, and individually. You can share this with everyone and you were not pointing any fingers then. We did this 2 years ago and it was great. Good luck, and your wanting to improve shows your dedication.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

MJT:

Ah, the voice of experience. I appreciate your advice. I believe that one major problem is that we (as officials) do not get enough feedback. We disregard the coaches and fans as biased (with good reason), and we can't attack our own crew. Thus, we float along blindly. I welcome criticism. However, you pointed out my concern for hurt feelings. I will ask the crew if they are okay with it. I would do it confidentially with each member to ease the stress.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat
77 years among them
So, you got assigned 3 rookies and one really old guy?

My only thoughts on this is that it is not something that should start in the middle of the year. The criteria should be set at the beginning of the year. This way everyone can be alert to other's strengths and weaknesses. In an evaluation of me, I would put much more stock in a comment like, "your shirt was really wrinkled at the Oct 1st game" vs "earlier in the season there was a day you really looked rough."

I'm presuming that whatever evaluation you do, your crew will know specifics are paramount to a meaningful evaluation.

If I am on a team (at work, officiating or some other civic organization) and I were to receive an unexpected evaluation, my first response would probably be negative.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

After I typed my response, I started thinking: Is there a reason for making it so formla? What's wrong with grabbing a bite to eat or having an adult beverage with the members and just chatting things over. "Hey Bob, can I buy you a burger so we can chat over how I did in as WH this year." I'm sure the opportunity will come up for discussions back and forth... not to mention you'll build the relationships a little.

Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
In my area, we get observed at least once a year by a state observer, usually twice a year. Once by one guy and once by another guy. This year, we were observed by the head of officials for the state. Got lots of good and to-the-point information.

I think your intention is good. I think that the more we take a look at our progress and performance, the better we will be in the end. Do you belong to an association? If so, see if another crew or WH has the night off and ask him to come out and watch you guys work and have him provide feedback. Obviously some of the guys on your crew might not be receptive to this idea, but if you're open to any criticism/pointers that will make you a better official and it will hopefully trickle down from there.

I also like the idea about getting together after the game for a bite. Less formal and it is a good opportunity for you to have some fun, and some beers, with the guys you work with yet still reflect on your performance.

What about video? Do you know someone/another official that might be able to come out with a video camera and film the game for you? It is amazing the things you see after watching yourself on tape.

Good luck! As I said, I think your intentions are good. Follow through with them in some fashion. Anything that can be done to improve your crew is always positive.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

I have been the referee on my crew for the last 10 years. We get evaluated at least 1 time in the regular season and at every playoff game. Some years we were evaluated 4 or 5 times. When we are evaluated by a neutral observer the crew takes the evaluations very seriously and in the spirit in which they were done.
That being said we tried to do a kangaroo court that just dealt with mechanics, no comment on any calls. We had a fine system that ranged from a .25 for a very minor infraction to the biggest fine of $1.00 for the dreaded IW (luckily we never had one). Each member of the crew took a turn as a judge and listened to the testimony and levied the fines. We always have a year end dinner where we take our wives out for a show and dinner and the money was used for this.
This was a complete disaster, we have one official who always thought we were picking on him. He is an excellent official who also works D2 college ball but he always thought his mechanics were perfect. When an observer told him the mistakes he was making it was ok, but if we tried as a crew to tell him, it wasn't a pleasant situation.

So do I think your idea is a good one? Yes I do, but you better know your personnel and you better be very careful how you implement it.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

As someone who had the unpleasant task of "firing" two crew members in the past few weeks, I can tell you that you have to be really careful.

I tried to bring lesser-experienced and weak mechaniced officials up to the level I want on my crew by giving them feedback on things from (1) the umpire not signalling a TD to (2) not crossing your arms or putting your hands in your pocket on the field to (3) why shaving the day of the game is a nice idea to (4) why brown isn't the recommended color for knickers.

It turned out that these guys really didn't want to hear this type of feedback.

Eventually, I realized the only way to get the crew I wanted was to replace the two guys who wouldn't see things the way the other three members of the crew saw them. It wasn't easy, but I did it, and now I'll have two experienced officials in their place who have a real passion for officiating and will also want to improve, both individually and as a crew.

As this probably isn't an option for you, you have to decide how much return you can get from the process you've suggested. The return may, in fact, be negative, in which case you're better off figuring out how to escape.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

parepat, I just returned to the office after dropping off a blank VHS tape in the mail over at the post office. As trained / certified officials I think it's fair to say that each official should know his responsibilities.

There's nothing wrong with requesting films. Then share the film and talk about specific situations and what you can do together. You can then say "hey Bill, take a look at the 1st play of the 2nd quarter. Do you think we got a good spot on that?"

Now everyone is in a "fishbowl" looking from the outside. Officials who know their responsibilities can see for him/herself what's being missed, then you can talk about things that happened in preGame.

I don't request films every week but a couple of times a year. The reception I got from an AD list was extremely positive. He said "in all the years I've been doing this you're the first referee that has EVER asked for a film. That's great that you evaluate yourselves."

Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: parepat...It all comes down to "trust." Since you are new with these guys, personally, I'd give it a year before trying anything so formal. I like the suggestion that whaddayouknow made about just doing it pairwise over a burger and a beer. That actually will help build the trust that you need going forward. No one feels threatened. It isn't a test.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

I think the self-evaluation is a good idea. What you could do is after the season, when you have a chance to talk with them one-on-one, expand upon what THEY said, e.g., "You said you do a really good job instructing the chain crew, well here is something that would make that go better..."

The self-evaluation and the one-on-one will make it less threatening. Most people are pretty accurate with self-evaluations and a little prompting can get it to be more accurate.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

It's a great idea on paper, but the reality is that few people, let alone officials, have the fortitude to stand up to criticism, especially from some one much younger and with less experienced on the field. I would think a more general tone might be better. For example, the crew needs to do a better job of foul reporting.....the crew as a whole needs to get quicker to the ball...Our crew needs to be in better physical shape due to the longer season...etc. A letter to each asking for individual input concerning areas you believe to be addressed might accomplish what you want to accomplish.

Good Luck
"a friend once said that there is the honesty, total honesty, and way too much honesty..."
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. you have given me alot to think about. I'll report back with what I did, and how it worked,
Old Sat Oct 29, 2005, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

In our board, we have observers at most games. These are usually retired officials who evaluate each official during each play of the entire game. WH will present a blank tape to the home field coach prior to the game,for him to make a copy of the game to be submitted to the Better Officiating Commitee who will then check all called penalties during the game.Our film observer will then, at the next weekly meeting, give a type written report to the WH of every play and critique of each official during the entire game-every play. So if there are say 150 plays, there will be 150 entire crew observations. As a WH I will submit to the committee a listing of all fouls during the game and these will be checked against the film. So, as you can see, our board not only sends an observer to games but his report given to the WH during the week after the game has been played and the film report makes us all better officials.I'll tell ya, if you aren' a strong official at your position, you will find out. Our observer tells it like it is.