View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
In my area, we get observed at least once a year by a state observer, usually twice a year. Once by one guy and once by another guy. This year, we were observed by the head of officials for the state. Got lots of good and to-the-point information.

I think your intention is good. I think that the more we take a look at our progress and performance, the better we will be in the end. Do you belong to an association? If so, see if another crew or WH has the night off and ask him to come out and watch you guys work and have him provide feedback. Obviously some of the guys on your crew might not be receptive to this idea, but if you're open to any criticism/pointers that will make you a better official and it will hopefully trickle down from there.

I also like the idea about getting together after the game for a bite. Less formal and it is a good opportunity for you to have some fun, and some beers, with the guys you work with yet still reflect on your performance.

What about video? Do you know someone/another official that might be able to come out with a video camera and film the game for you? It is amazing the things you see after watching yourself on tape.

Good luck! As I said, I think your intentions are good. Follow through with them in some fashion. Anything that can be done to improve your crew is always positive.