View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

I have been the referee on my crew for the last 10 years. We get evaluated at least 1 time in the regular season and at every playoff game. Some years we were evaluated 4 or 5 times. When we are evaluated by a neutral observer the crew takes the evaluations very seriously and in the spirit in which they were done.
That being said we tried to do a kangaroo court that just dealt with mechanics, no comment on any calls. We had a fine system that ranged from a .25 for a very minor infraction to the biggest fine of $1.00 for the dreaded IW (luckily we never had one). Each member of the crew took a turn as a judge and listened to the testimony and levied the fines. We always have a year end dinner where we take our wives out for a show and dinner and the money was used for this.
This was a complete disaster, we have one official who always thought we were picking on him. He is an excellent official who also works D2 college ball but he always thought his mechanics were perfect. When an observer told him the mistakes he was making it was ok, but if we tried as a crew to tell him, it wasn't a pleasant situation.

So do I think your idea is a good one? Yes I do, but you better know your personnel and you better be very careful how you implement it.