View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by parepat

This year I joined a new crew as a WH. I work with four fine officials with lots of experience (77 years among them). In fact, in moving to a new position, I'm likely the one in most need for improvement. However, I think that we all can improve. Therefore, I am considering sending each crew member an individual evaluation citing his strengths and areas for possible improvement. Does anyone else do this? Do you folks think this is a good idea or a recipe for disaster? Any thoughts would be helpful.
Be careful. I discussed doing this with my crew a few years back. I am one who wants to be criticized to improve, but one of the guys was not hot on it, and the other 4 guys on my crew are pretty good friends of mine. You joining a new crew, and the others being more experienced, you had better really be careful.

This is what I did, I still had it on my computer.

I have been thinking for quite a while about what we can do to finish out the year. What I want to do is for everyone to do is analyze yourself, each other, and our crew as a whole. Email me your comments, I will formulate them into one big document and email it to each of you. Your email to me needs to include; 3 things you feel you do well, and 3 things you need to improve on. Two things we do well as a crew and 2 things we as a crew need to work on. The last thing is very important for us. Constructive criticism is important for all of us to improve individually, which will help us to improve as a crew. List 2 things you think the each other guys does well and 2 things they each need to work on. These can be things they can do to help you in your position or just other things we have noticed or discussed. We need to take these “improvement” suggestions from each other the right way. The goal of this is to look at ourselves and each other and see how we can improve. Take the criticism with that in mind. We get along well, and this should not hurt, but help our crew and our relationships. If everyone list the same things I need to work on for example, I really better focus on that next year cuz obviously it is something noticed by all.

This will take some time, but will be very important in our growing as individuals and a crew!

If you are going to make a smart *** comment about something someone does well or needs to improve on, fine, but it must be above and beyond the requirements of 3 good and bad for you, and 2 good and bad for the crew and each other crew member.
So, minimum of 3 good and bad for you, and 2 good and bad for the crew, and each other crew member.
Complete sentences not needed. Copy and use the sample below if you want.
Monte
Things I do well

Things I need to improve

Mark
Does well

Needs to improve

Marly
Does well
Needs to improve
Todd
Does well
Needs to improve

Bill
Does well
Needs to improve

One of my guys did it for me, and me for him, and we thought it was great, and made us better. When I did not get a response from the others, I found out they were skeptical about what their negatives would be, so we decided to discontinue it. We do discuss things to improve on, as a crew, and as individuals, but try to do so in a positive way. I thought this would do the same, but did not want to force the issue. Personally, I take all criticism I received from coaches while I was playing, whether it was them screaming at me, or in a nice way, as ways for me to improve. I have the same approach in officiating and that is why I thought it would be good.

What might be better would be to have a neutral, knowledgable observer watch and take notes on your crew as a whole, and individually. You can share this with everyone and you were not pointing any fingers then. We did this 2 years ago and it was great. Good luck, and your wanting to improve shows your dedication.