View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

As someone who had the unpleasant task of "firing" two crew members in the past few weeks, I can tell you that you have to be really careful.

I tried to bring lesser-experienced and weak mechaniced officials up to the level I want on my crew by giving them feedback on things from (1) the umpire not signalling a TD to (2) not crossing your arms or putting your hands in your pocket on the field to (3) why shaving the day of the game is a nice idea to (4) why brown isn't the recommended color for knickers.

It turned out that these guys really didn't want to hear this type of feedback.

Eventually, I realized the only way to get the crew I wanted was to replace the two guys who wouldn't see things the way the other three members of the crew saw them. It wasn't easy, but I did it, and now I'll have two experienced officials in their place who have a real passion for officiating and will also want to improve, both individually and as a crew.

As this probably isn't an option for you, you have to decide how much return you can get from the process you've suggested. The return may, in fact, be negative, in which case you're better off figuring out how to escape.