Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 03, 2015, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice post. Thanks.

Then what's the change?

Officials Signal Chart and Officials Manual: Establish a signal to be used after a basket is made and there is a stoppage in play. The signal is used by the officials to indicate the team inbounding the ball may run the baseline. The signal will be executed by extending the arm laterally, bending the elbow at a 90-degree angle, moving the hand and forearm from the elbow in a waving motion horizontally along the end line. A new picture will need to be added to the signal chart.
Looks like they're revising the signal to be upwardly oriented AND specifying that it will be used at the time of the stoppage, not just at the time play is to resume.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2015, 11:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Looks like they're revising the signal to be upwardly oriented AND specifying that it will be used at the time of the stoppage, not just at the time play is to resume.
Sounds exactly like what we've been doing....for as long as I can remember.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2015, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sounds exactly like what we've been doing....for as long as I can remember.
Yes. Even though the book has the lower signal, many here (including me) do it upwards and more visible and when the whistle blows to confirm with the crew how we will be resuming.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2015, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even though the book has the lower signal, many here (including me) do it upward and more visible ...
This.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2015, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where have you seen the new NFHS "run the endline" signal "drawn up/illustrated"?
See your own post above the one I'm quoting here.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2015, 08:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

"What's New" ???

... New York, New Jersey, New Mexico (I know, it's an old joke, but it's a classic, and it's still funny).

Quote:
Where have you seen the new NFHS "run the endline" signal "drawn up/illustrated"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
See your own post above ...
My illustration was an IAABO illustration (note the little patch), not a NFHS illustration, and (currently using IAABO mechanics, and signals, rather than NFHS mechanics, and signals) I had no idea that the NFHS already had a "run the endline" signal (based on the "new" 15-16 NFHS signal description).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 04, 2015 at 08:58am.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2015, 01:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
NFHS signals are a POE.

The only "change" is that the universal signal that everyone used indicating a thrower can run the endline is now official.

No, two handed reporting is not NFHS mechanic.
There is no way to know what will be expected in 2015-16 until the manual comes out. When I went to a camp 2 years ago, one of the clinicians had inside knowledge of the new expected long switch in the NFHS book, but the book itself didn't get in my hands until fall. It was not discussed in the changes to rules/signals that came out earlier in the year. And then it changed again.

That said, I'd be surprised if the NFHS endorsed 2-handed reporting, but I'd switch to it day one if they did.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 06:45pm
C'mon man!!

Our assigner of officials and the guy in charge has said we will be using two hand mechanics this year. So excited.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Our assigner of officials and the guy in charge has said we will be using two hand mechanics this year. So excited.
Did they say if this was a national change or just unique to your area? I'm praying for the former.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Did they say if this was a national change or just unique to your area? I'm praying for the former.
Me too. With a little practice it's ridiculously easy to master. Just set up your right hand with the tens digit as you move toward the table. If need be, score the basket with your other hand and then *poof* up go the fingers.

I have heard the real NFHS roadblock has been over concern that high school table personnel cannot process a two-hand signal, especially if the official is still walking toward the table while reporting. I think that's a weak position and pretty demeaning to table personnel. All of this, "stop, be rigid, put up one hand, stick your hand straight out" stuff makes me feel like a robot and slows down game flow. I've largely abandoned it and don't really care if some purist evaluator downgrades me for it.

If I can tell the table is inexperienced, sure I'll slow things down for them. But I shouldn't have to assume that they're dense and slow because usually quite the opposite is true.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 08:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

I wouldn't be surprised to see our mechanics move in the direction of NCAAW / NBA. Personally I don't care, although the stop and report with one hand thing -- I'd gladly abandon that.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see our mechanics move in the direction of NCAAW / NBA. Personally I don't care, although the stop and report with one hand thing -- I'd gladly abandon that.
Frankly the NCAAM "stop" mechanic is really only necessary because they then have to turn around and go opposite. Which is a silly and time-wasting concept in and of itself just meant to avoid confrontations with coaches (and said avoidance only makes frustration fester, at which point you have to pull a Gene Steretore and entertain the coach every time you're the tableside C and the ball is live, etc., etc.....but I digress).

My point? Stopping to report is silly and useless.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 09:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not see that happening unless states decide to go their own way for some time and do what they want. I think the NF is too intrenched their philosophy as they think that many official will not execute it properly. Heck right now it is hard to find many very low level officials execute the current system. It is not made for those of us that have extensive experience, it is also made for those of us that have hardly ever officiated anything too.

The only thing I could see realistically is the two handed reporting, but they will still require us to stop and report.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only thing I could see realistically is the two handed reporting, but they will still require us to stop and report.
I would be ok with that as a compromise. It's a baby step in the right direction.

Sort of like the rules committee taking baby steps this year when....oh, wait, they didn't adopt a single one of their 40+ agenda proposals this year, did they? Sigh.
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I would be ok with that as a compromise. It's a baby step in the right direction.

Sort of like the rules committee taking baby steps this year when....oh, wait, they didn't adopt a single one of their 40+ agenda proposals this year, did they? Sigh.
Mechanics are local. Your state can do whatever they really want to do when it comes to mechanics. That is another reason I do not see a change from the NF level unless local areas all over the country make the change themselves. Not so much in basketball, but we do many things different in football and in baseball (when I worked it) that the NF did not endorse.

Peace