The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
3 man mechanics NFHS

Should the lead call basket interference?

Jump ball to start overtime.
A1 drives to basket after receiving tip on jump ball and misses shot. A2 attempts to rebound and commits basket interference. Lead calls basket interference no other whistles from rest of crew. Game tape review shows correct call but should the lead be making this? Any reference to NFHS 3 man mechanics state lead should not make the call?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 64
Lead should not make this call.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 09:29pm
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogarandt View Post
Should the lead call basket interference?

Jump ball to start overtime.
A1 drives to basket after receiving tip on jump ball and misses shot. A2 attempts to rebound and commits basket interference. Lead calls basket interference no other whistles from rest of crew. Game tape review shows correct call but should the lead be making this? Any reference to NFHS 3 man mechanics state lead should not make the call?
I am fine with Lead making this call, sounds like it was in transition and given the situation right off the tip the Center and Trail were probably not in position to make the call.

If it's a correct call there shouldn't be an issue here.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 234
Get it right

Ninety-nine percent of the time, no. BUT, if its the right call and no one else has it then I think the lead should make the call.
__________________
Its not what you know but how you use it that counts!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,293
Whenever the ball has not settled into the half-court, the lead can and should make calls normally covered by the trail when in a position to see it and even more so when the trail is not yet in the normal position.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:49am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Whenever the ball has not settled into the half-court, the lead can and should make calls normally covered by the trail when in a position to see it and even more so when the trail is not yet in the normal position.
We're talking three man here, GT and BI are often the C's responsibility as well. I think it's easier to say Lead can call both in transition, and it happens in D1 and pro all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 09:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
one thing that is going unnoticed is that the official got the call right. possibly a cadence on the whistle. But at the end of the day, its all about getting the calls right.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 09:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogarandt View Post
Should the lead call basket interference?

Jump ball to start overtime.
A1 drives to basket after receiving tip on jump ball and misses shot. A2 attempts to rebound and commits basket interference. Lead calls basket interference no other whistles from rest of crew. Game tape review shows correct call but should the lead be making this? Any reference to NFHS 3 man mechanics state lead should not make the call?
As Leads we are taught to not look up. In transition that changes. Bang bang plays occur all the time and too many officials wouldn't make this call for fear of being ridiculed or shunned for not "trusting" your partners. It's not a matter of trust but attempting to get the call right.
Does anyone know of a specific reference in the Officials Manual that states the Lead should not, cannot, must not, or never makes this call regardless of in transition or not?
Also is there a way to post videos here?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 09:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogarandt View Post
Should the lead call basket interference?

Jump ball to start overtime.
A1 drives to basket after receiving tip on jump ball and misses shot. A2 attempts to rebound and commits basket interference. Lead calls basket interference no other whistles from rest of crew. Game tape review shows correct call but should the lead be making this? Any reference to NFHS 3 man mechanics state lead should not make the call?
Get the play right.

Also, think about the scenario; On a jump ball, the person who will become the C starts the play at the opposite 28-foot mark. Meanwhile the person who will be come the T just finished making the toss and is waiting for players to clear before getting into position. The L may be the only one able to see the play from start to finish.
__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 10:34am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Get the play right.

Also, think about the scenario; On a jump ball, the person who will become the C starts the play at the opposite 28-foot mark. Meanwhile the person who will be come the T just finished making the toss and is waiting for players to clear before getting into position. The L may be the only one able to see the play from start to finish.
Exactly. Lead should be primary on this play.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 11:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
We're talking three man here, GT and BI are often the C's responsibility as well. I think it's easier to say Lead can call both in transition, and it happens in D1 and pro all the time.
The same applies to 2 or 3 person. Lead has EVERYTHING in the frontcourt until his/her partner(s) are in frontcourt position to cover their areas.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 11:13am
Show up, keep up, shut up
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The same applies to 2 or 3 person. Lead has EVERYTHING in the frontcourt until his/her partner(s) are in frontcourt position to cover their areas.
I concur!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:13pm
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogarandt View Post
Also is there a way to post videos here?
You can embed videos from any number of video hosting websites. If you need help with this, feel free to send me a PM.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
basket interference, lead referee, nfhs 3 man mechanics

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCAA Mechanics, NFHS Rules/Mechanics InvisibleRef Basketball 4 Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06am
NFHS Mechanics CD DUFFinSTRIPES Basketball 2 Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:10am
NFHS Mechanics Changes KSRef Football 14 Mon Jun 28, 2004 01:30pm
NFHS Mechanics hab_in_exile Hockey 9 Thu Feb 27, 2003 07:33pm
NFHS - mechanics? JHut17 Basketball 4 Wed Dec 11, 2002 07:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1