View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Did they say if this was a national change or just unique to your area? I'm praying for the former.
Me too. With a little practice it's ridiculously easy to master. Just set up your right hand with the tens digit as you move toward the table. If need be, score the basket with your other hand and then *poof* up go the fingers.

I have heard the real NFHS roadblock has been over concern that high school table personnel cannot process a two-hand signal, especially if the official is still walking toward the table while reporting. I think that's a weak position and pretty demeaning to table personnel. All of this, "stop, be rigid, put up one hand, stick your hand straight out" stuff makes me feel like a robot and slows down game flow. I've largely abandoned it and don't really care if some purist evaluator downgrades me for it.

If I can tell the table is inexperienced, sure I'll slow things down for them. But I shouldn't have to assume that they're dense and slow because usually quite the opposite is true.