The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New NFHS Mechanics? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99932-new-nfhs-mechanics.html)

bballref3966 Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20pm

New NFHS Mechanics?

Was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors pertaining to NFHS mechanics changes. Apparently mechanics were a major point of discussion and editing at the rules committee meeting, though I won't get my manual until September.

Maybe two-handed reporting will be allowed now? :D

BktBallRef Fri Jul 03, 2015 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 964432)
Was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors pertaining to NFHS mechanics changes. Apparently mechanics were a major point of discussion and editing at the rules committee meeting, though I won't get my manual until September.

Maybe two-handed reporting will be allowed now? :D

NFHS signals are a POE.

The only "change" is that the universal signal that everyone used indicating a thrower can run the endline is now official.

No, two handed reporting is not NFHS mechanic.

bballref3966 Fri Jul 03, 2015 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 964436)
NFHS signals are a POE.

The only "change" is that the universal signal that everyone used indicating a thrower can run the endline is now official.

No, two handed reporting is not NFHS mechanic.

You misunderstood. Significant time was spent updating the officials' manual. This could mean that there are some changes that we won't know about until we get the manual in September.

JRutledge Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 964440)
You misunderstood. Significant time was spent updating the officials' manual. This could mean that there are some changes that we won't know about until we get the manual in September.

Usually they announce those things. I have no idea what would be changed other than maybe some wording that someone will read way too much into.

Peace

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:55am

Signal To Noise (Peter Gabriel, 2002) ...

Quote:

It's been an official IAABO signal since 2009-10. But, like BktBallRef stated, it's been an unofficial signal, for many officials, not just for IAABO officials, for a lot longer than that. We were using it, here in my little corner of Connecticut, before there was such a thing as official IAABO signals; back when IAABO guys, and gals, were still using NFHS mechanics, and signals (without an official run the endline signal); also known as the good old days. Now we're all legitimate signalers, not NFHS bastard signalers.

OKREF Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:22am

I've been using it for 14 years.

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:43am

No Statute Of Limitations ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 964446)

Maybe we can be cellmates in NFHS prison? I bet that I can sharpen the extra whistle in my pocket into a shiv. I wonder what the weather's like in Indianapolis?

You know, it may not be too late to delete your post, and the evidence?

so cal lurker Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29pm

Quote:

Only 14? -- I remember HS refs using that signal back when I played in the early 80s

OKREF Fri Jul 03, 2015 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 964448)
Only 14? -- I remember HS refs using that signal back when I played in the early 80s

So do I, however I wasn't officiating those games, hence the statement "I've been using...."

ODog Fri Jul 03, 2015 03:41pm

Quote:

... the universal signal that everyone used indicating a thrower can run the endline is now official.

I can't recall seeing anyone doing the "run the endline" signal as drawn up/illustrated.

We all use one, of course, but the one that's been approved is one I rarely see and one I know I won't start seeing.

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2015 03:42pm

Say Hello To My Little Friend ...

From the IAABO Mechanics Manual:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/372/19...60a8bacf_m.jpg

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2015 03:47pm

Advance Copy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 964454)
I can't recall seeing anyone doing the "run the endline" signal as drawn up/illustrated.

Where have you seen the new NFHS "run the endline" signal "drawn up/illustrated"?

Isn't Massachusetts an IAABO state, with some NCAA adaptations?

Are you sure that you're not talking about an IAABO, or NCAA (definitely not my forte), signal illustration?

Camron Rust Fri Jul 03, 2015 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 964444)
It's been an official IAABO signal since 2009-10. But, like BktBallRef stated, it's been an unofficial signal, for many officials, not just for IAABO officials, for a lot longer than that. We were using it, here in my little corner of Connecticut, before there was such a thing as official IAABO signals; back when IAABO guys, and gals, were still using NFHS mechanics, and signals (without an official run the endline signal); also known as the good old days. Now we're all legitimate signalers, not NFHS bastard signalers.

I haven't seen the new signal's definition yet but there has been an official NFHS run the endline signal for a long time. It isn't like we haven't had one. Are they just changing the nature of the signal?

See http://www.gccoa.us/basketball/docum...%20Signals.pdf Signal #23.

Or #18 in this version:

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/43734233.png

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jul 03, 2015 05:43pm

Quote:

I have been using it for 50 years and I have only been officiating for 44 years.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2015 07:04pm

I'm Confused ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 964459)
... there has been an official NFHS run the endline signal for a long time.

Nice post. Thanks.

Then what's the change?

Officials Signal Chart and Officials Manual: Establish a signal to be used after a basket is made and there is a stoppage in play. The signal is used by the officials to indicate the team inbounding the ball may run the baseline. The signal will be executed by extending the arm laterally, bending the elbow at a 90-degree angle, moving the hand and forearm from the elbow in a waving motion horizontally along the end line. A new picture will need to be added to the signal chart.