The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 20, 2015, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You have been validated by at least 2 NBA Finals officials.
No wonder I was approached by a scout in York.

Then I told him I was 35 and in the military; he shook my hand and politely moved on.

But like your post, it was humbling and made my day.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 07:23am
This IS My Social Life

Camp Report on the Issue

Thanx all for all responses.
Squaring shoulders to the on-ball competitive matchup was a mechanic prominent in the better high school camps in our state. Emphasis on "was". As more and more camps use college officials as clinicians, the college mechanic, though I don't know if it's in their manual or not, seems to mandate C's shoulders always parallel to the sideline. And I'm good with that for myself and the experienced crews I mostly work with.
As to what to instill initially in the educational process of brand new officials, the preference to square up to the ball if on-ball as both C and T seems beneficial to use. At least at first.
I experimented at camp this weekend when I worked as a participant at a camp with a high school section with college clinicians, some of whom said they'd leave this mechanic up to us. The newbies I worked with and watched did better distinguishing on-ball vs. off-ball squaring the shoulders. The experienced guys mostly -- not all, but mostly -- did okay not doing that.
There's still waaaaaay too much "four eyes on the ball" out top between C and T. And I'm still open to pregaming squaring the shoulders to the ball when on-ball, just curb that unnecessary double coverage and foster needed off-ball surveillance.
I guess I'm just proposing keeping this old camp-taught mechanic for new high school officials as a means to instill good on-ball/off-ball surveillance.
It seems to be a mature mechanic for mature officials. The newbies might benefit from a "training wheels" mechanic as they begin.
Thanx again for the responses thus far.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jun 21, 2015 at 07:33am.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 07:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
No wonder I was approached by a scout in York.

Then I told him I was 35 and in the military; he shook my hand and politely moved on.

He needs to work on his people skills. He apparently has a lot of knowledge but does a sh!tty job passing it along if you are not a D-League prospect or a DC/Maryland IAABO official.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He needs to work on his people skills. He apparently has a lot of knowledge but does a sh!tty job passing it along if you are not a D-League prospect or a DC/Maryland IAABO official.
Eh, I didn't think it was that bad. He was very polite....we talked about Tony and Leroy briefly....and then he excused himself. I'm not naïve enough to question why he did; when you're trying to look at 2000 officials per summer, you take a few notes, ask a few questions, and then find out who your potentials are.

I'm not going to get invited into the D-League when I'm 35 with an established career. And I'm ok with that. I must have looked a lot younger than 35. That's cool.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 04:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Eh, I didn't think it was that bad. He was very polite....we talked about Tony and Leroy briefly....and then he excused himself. I'm not naïve enough to question why he did; when you're trying to look at 2000 officials per summer, you take a few notes, ask a few questions, and then find out who your potentials are.

I'm not going to get invited into the D-League when I'm 35 with an established career. And I'm ok with that. I must have looked a lot younger than 35. That's cool.
I didn't even begin officiating until I was 37 and I was also in the military for the first 4 years of my career, so I fully understand not being a viable candidate for certain levels of officiating.

But he is not always operating as a D-League scout, he is also a member of the conference that you were trying out for. If you had been a MD/DC IAABO official he would have had at least some type tips to pass on, even if you aren't the right fit for the D-League.

I've seen him in operation for quite a few years as a member of a couple of different conferences. He is just off-putting to me.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Jun 21, 2015 at 04:16pm.