View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 21, 2015, 07:23am
This IS My Social Life

Camp Report on the Issue

Thanx all for all responses.
Squaring shoulders to the on-ball competitive matchup was a mechanic prominent in the better high school camps in our state. Emphasis on "was". As more and more camps use college officials as clinicians, the college mechanic, though I don't know if it's in their manual or not, seems to mandate C's shoulders always parallel to the sideline. And I'm good with that for myself and the experienced crews I mostly work with.
As to what to instill initially in the educational process of brand new officials, the preference to square up to the ball if on-ball as both C and T seems beneficial to use. At least at first.
I experimented at camp this weekend when I worked as a participant at a camp with a high school section with college clinicians, some of whom said they'd leave this mechanic up to us. The newbies I worked with and watched did better distinguishing on-ball vs. off-ball squaring the shoulders. The experienced guys mostly -- not all, but mostly -- did okay not doing that.
There's still waaaaaay too much "four eyes on the ball" out top between C and T. And I'm still open to pregaming squaring the shoulders to the ball when on-ball, just curb that unnecessary double coverage and foster needed off-ball surveillance.
I guess I'm just proposing keeping this old camp-taught mechanic for new high school officials as a means to instill good on-ball/off-ball surveillance.
It seems to be a mature mechanic for mature officials. The newbies might benefit from a "training wheels" mechanic as they begin.
Thanx again for the responses thus far.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jun 21, 2015 at 07:33am.