The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Cincinnati vs Kentucky Contact Dead Ball Technical Foul (Video)

Regarding an earlier discussion on the merits that the exact same standards of a(n) intentional/flagrant technical foul (dead ball contact) must mean the exact physical requirements for a(n) intentional/flagrant personal foul (live ball contact)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is merely your opinion. You have nothing written in the rules to support your personal stance that there is a difference between live and dead ball intentional/excessive contact.
Furthermore, my opinion is that you are incorrect. The standard is the same by rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Nothing I said is not supported by rule...I just stated the real world expectation/interpretation. Contact being ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant almost always deals with deciding whether to T or ignore contact that occurs at or near the time the ball becomes dead.

Watch any college game where there's a dead ball contact T...I guarantee you that a good percentage of those plays, the contact, if it would have occurred during a live ball would NOT be called a FF1...but they would be backed up by rule and their supervisors cause the contact was excessive for the situation...even if it wouldn't be for a live ball.

Cincinnati vs UK

Contact dead ball T...perfect example of contact that would be a common foul during live ball play....but called a T during a dead ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You beat me to it. Per Nevada's interpretation, this should be ignored in both NFHS and NCAA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Can't wait to see that video.
Quote:
It was basically a shoulder bump while crossing paths.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL976eQ6juQ

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

It was starting to get chirpy, and I think this was a good T to settle everyone down.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 09:21am
Stubborn Member

Why did Ellis (Cin) get away with all that instigating? What Harrison (Ken) did isn't right, but how can the officials ignore the fact that Ellis was the root of the problem (at least here, as I don't know what happened before this sequence)?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Why did Ellis (Cin) get away with all that instigating? What Harrison (Ken) did isn't right, but how can the officials ignore the fact that Ellis was the root of the problem (at least here, as I don't know what happened before this sequence)?
Officials should have had a quick trigger on Ellis, IMO. He had just been tossed from the previous game for a FF2.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Agreed. The Cincy player was the troublemaker here and got away with a lot of instigating.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 12:04pm
Esteemed Participant

This is a great example of how "talking" to the players doesn't always work. We (including myself here) think we can talk to players and get things settled down in these types of situations. Most of the time that works great...but when dealing with known knuckleheads, maybe talking isn't the best way to handle things. If Ellis gets a DB Contact T in the first play, the second probably never happens.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ellis is some of the most problematic baggage I've seen a coach have to deal with in a long time. To be humbled by the FF2 he had 2 days before and then come back as if nothing had happened....and act with the same shenanigans? Holy smokes.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 08:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Ellis is some of the most problematic baggage I've seen a coach have to deal with in a long time. To be humbled by the FF2 he had 2 days before and then come back as if nothing had happened....and act with the same shenanigans? Holy smokes.
Tells me he may not have really been as "humbled" as he tried to appear.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 09:19pm
In Time Out

shades of Dennis Rodman come to mind.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Following the first personal foul the Kentucky player took a swipe at the Cinci player. The Cinci player was no angel, but that action by the Kentucky player meets the definition of a Class A unsporting technical foul. I would penalize him right then. I don't see the actions of anything else in this clip rising to that level. I do not agree with the technical foul that was eventually assessed to the Kentucky player following the second personal foul. Ellis of Cinci actually moved to his right to pick off Harrison as he walks by and makes his shoulder bump look worse. I would tell those two to knock it off and keep an eye them for further issues.

Lastly, please compare the language in 10-3-1d with the text of the new 10-3-2i. Curious that one uses "and" and the other "or" when they are basically the same in the rest of the rule. Why the difference for players versus bench personnnel?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Mar 24, 2015 at 01:29pm.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...I do not agree with the technical foul that was eventually assessed to the Kentucky player following the second personal foul. Ellis of Cinci actually moved to his right to pick off Harrison as he walks by and makes his shoulder bump look worse. I would tell those two to knock it off and keep an eye them for further issues.
And if Ellis did the exact same thing later on, would you call a T or tell him to knock it off again? If you would call a T, what would it be for?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And if Ellis did the exact same thing later on, would you call a T or tell him to knock it off again? If you would call a T, what would it be for?
No.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No.
Hmm, "no" to 3 different questions. So if he did it again, just ignore it?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmm, "no" to 3 different questions. So if he did it again, just ignore it?
I believe that you are confused. Ellis didn't get T'd for anything during the game. I have stated that I would not have T'd him either. I would continue to observe him though in case his antics cross the threshold for an unsporting technical foul. You inquired if I would T him for the exact same thing again later in the game. The answer is no. His action is below the level of a technical foul no matter how many times he does it. He simply has my attention for the rest of the game so that I don't miss something that he does which does warrant a T.

Apparently, you would have T'd Ellis during this contest. I don't agree with your assessment.