The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

UGA/Bama Incidental Contact/Technical Foul (Video)

2:49 second half on ESPN2. Bama player blocks the shot of the Georgia player, and gets him in the face following the block. Looked like incidental contact to me. Few seconds later, Mark Fox gets whacked. Followed by the usual idiocy of the commentator.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Also worth another look is the pass and crash with 4.6 seconds left.

I'd also like to see the change of the call from travel to foul at 1:38 in OT.

Last edited by SC Official; Sat Feb 21, 2015 at 10:20pm.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
2:49 second half on ESPN2. Bama player blocks the shot of the Georgia player, and gets him in the face following the block. Looked like incidental contact to me. Few seconds later, Mark Fox gets whacked. Followed by the usual idiocy of the commentator.

Quote:
Also worth another look is the pass and crash with 4.6 seconds left.

Quote:
I'd also like to see the change of the call from travel to foul at 1:38 in OT.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

#1. Should have been a foul. Getting hit in the face like that should be called.

#2. Good call.

#3. Another good call.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#1. Should have been a foul. Getting hit in the face like that should be called.

#2. Good call.

#3. Another good call.
Eh, he got the ball first. I'm not moved.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Eh, he got the ball first. I'm not moved.
If it were on the arm, I'd agree. I consider getting hit in the face a little different.....a protecting the shooter kind of situation.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

1. He blocks the ball, but the follow through to the face is not allowed and is not incidental.

2. The secondary defender definitely arrived in time, but it seems that most of the contact comes from his teammate who was the primary defender. I don't believe that the offensive player crashed the defender. Strange looking play.

3. Sadly, this was not a double whistle. This was Jamie Luckie deciding to call a foul AFTER his partner had whistled AND signaled a travel. There are plenty of bodies in the way, but from my review of the video it does not appear that the Georgia player rolled up on the rear foot of the player with the ball. He probably did make some contact with it. It seems that he was already off balance and falling before any contact with that rear foot. I prefer the travel call by the primary official. I also can't defend Luckie making a call well after his partner and then running in and taking it. To me that's not helping a partner that's overriding his decision. I also don't believe that he has a clear look from 40 feet away through three other players.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

2. The secondary defender definitely arrived in time, but it seems that most of the contact comes from his teammate who was the primary defender. I don't believe that the offensive player crashed the defender. Strange looking play.
After a 2nd look. I agree.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

#2 is a very odd play indeed. From lead, it looks like an easy offensive foul call. From the other angles though, not really sure who caused that collision. Contact with the player taking the charge came from a teammate, but I can't tell how much contact there was between the offensive player and said teammate.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

1) I'm not penalizing this great play. He may have gotten him in the head, but that contact was incidental to the blocked shot.

2) The lead is straightlined on this play and not in position to see who initiated the contacr. That looks like a no-call.

3) What is Jamie Luckie doing on this play other than holding up his fist AFTER the travel call, storming in to take the call WITHOUT any concern for his partner, and then pointing at a million different bodies? I'm not convinced a foul was the correct call there, either. I'm also not happy if I'm the lead in that situation, although I realize who I'm working with.

Last edited by SC Official; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 10:08am.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 10:23am
Courageous When Prudent

1) A1 was smacked (dictionary definition ) in the head. I call all strikes to the head as fouls no matter how good the block is.

2) B1 actually knocked over B2

3) Rule 9-6-7 -- He maintained his pivot foot. Also, the NCAA wants a foul when a ball handler is contacted from behind and ends up on the ground.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 10:45am.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

#1- That's a foul every time if a guy gets whacked in the face like that, I don't care if it did come after a great block. Gotta protect the shooters. Follow through on the arm, I probably pass on, follow through in the face, is a foul.

#2- At first look I thought it was a good call, but in looking at it again, it definitely looks like the Georgia player was knocked over by his own teammate. Tough angle for the L to see, but I definitely don't have a team control foul here.

#3- I don't care who I'm working with, if you come storming into MY area like that and overrule MY call without at least talking to me first, then we are going to have a chat in the locker room, and I guarantee it won't be nice. I could be working with an assignor and would still give him a piece of my mind. Granted, I might not be working in that area anymore, but that was a complete bush league move by Jamie Luckie, on a call that I don't think he got correct anyways.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post

#3- I don't care who I'm working with, if you come storming into MY area like that and overrule MY call without at least talking to me first, then we are going to have a chat in the locker room, and I guarantee it won't be nice. I could be working with an assignor and would still give him a piece of my mind. Granted, I might not be working in that area anymore, but that was a complete bush league move by Jamie Luckie, on a call that I don't think he got correct anyways.
Before or after discussing the wrongness of calling a travel.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Before or after discussing the wrongness of calling a travel.
I could care less about whether it was a travel or a foul, in fact I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to make that call, and I know the NCAA rules differ from the NFHS rules.

My point is, it was a bush league move by Jamie Luckie, and I would not tolerate it, whether my call was wrong or not. You want to race in and talk to me about it and let ME change it, that's fine, but to come in like that, make both of us look like complete buffoons.. yea that's not going to happen without a major talk in the locker room after the game.

Would be very interested to know exactly how that postgame was.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
I could care less about whether it was a travel or a foul, in fact I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to make that call, and I know the NCAA rules differ from the NFHS rules.
This is a foul under every single rule set.

Could I do without the theatrics? Sure...not a big fan of it. But I also would have the belief, that at that level, if my partner comes in like this, he saw something that I didn't see and had to be got...like a foul preceding/causing a travel.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.