The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Oklahoma/Butler Foul and Contact Dead Ball T (Video)

Just under 2 minutes left in the game. Foul by Butler near division line and a subsequent contact dead ball technical foul on Oklahoma.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2014, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the play...

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Nov 28, 2014, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Nice work by the two outside officials to see the whole play.
Clear blocking foul by Butler called by the Trail and then the OK player got upset with the continued contact and smacked his opponent with an elbow to the side. The Center kept his eyes on these players after the initial foul and had a good look at this frustration action.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Tough to call a T only on the OK player when the Butler player kept harassing and riding him long after the whistle. If it is for contact, I think you have to get them both or neither.

However, it appears the OK player had some words which might have drawn the T ( I have no sound where I'm listening so I can't tell what he did or didn't say if it was picked up in the clip). It is possible the T was for the trash talk and not the contact?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Nov 29, 2014 at 03:19am.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is possible the T was for the trash talk and not the contact?
Nope, it was for the contact. One of the officials explained the call to the announcers.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

This is why I hate the contact dead ball technical foul rule. Why does that mild elbow to the back warrant a more severe penalty than jawing while the ball is dead?
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tough to call a T only on the OK player when the Butler player kept harassing and riding him long after the whistle. If it is for contact, I think you have to get them both or neither.

However, it appears the OK player had some words which might have drawn the T ( I have no sound where I'm listening so I can't tell what he did or didn't say if it was picked up in the clip). It is possible the T was for the trash talk and not the contact?
I agree, i would have like to seen C or T get in there, sound another whistle etc when Butler keeps riding him. have to referee the dead ball.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

this play was officiated EXACTLY as it should be….block foul on Butler; T on Oklahoma player….there isn't anything else here at all.

A fairly simple play to officiate….
Old Sat Nov 29, 2014, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
this play was officiated EXACTLY as it should be….block foul on Butler; T on Oklahoma player….there isn't anything else here at all.

A fairly simple play to officiate….
Thx two cents,
For the record, when i comment on videos those comments should always be qualified.i wasnt there, in the moment. i may have done exactly the same thing. video slows things down etc. however, when you look at the video, you see the foul called, the Butler player ride the Oklahoma player, continue to ride him and then surprise, the Oklahoma player reacts badly. he shouldnt, but that's what kids do at times. Maybe a simple "knock it off" to the Butler kid, or another whistle or a step in stops Butler kid and maybe more importantly lets the Oklahoma kid know it is being addressed or that you are still watching. or ..maybe it changes nothing.

As a general principle, when BS starts I try to address it before it turns in to something i cant ignore. that's all im saying, no more no less.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
This is why I hate the contact dead ball technical foul rule. Why does that mild elbow to the back warrant a more severe penalty than jawing while the ball is dead?
Why are you throwing and elbow? You got the call, move on. Now you act like a fool and think no one sees you. The elbow was on purpose. It was not severe or flagrant, but he certainly did it on purpose. And if you do not want to be called for that, control you temper.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 02:21pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
You think trash-talking (or whatever you want to call it) is a bigger deal than an elbow (minor or not)?

While neither activity is okay, I'm more concerned about things getting physical. If I hear players jawing I can step in and stop it before a push or punch is thrown. Once physical aggression happens then pushing and other fighting activity can occur before I can intervene. And who wants to deal with fights?
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
You think trash-talking (or whatever you want to call it) is a bigger deal than an elbow (minor or not)?

While neither activity is okay, I'm more concerned about things getting physical. If I hear players jawing I can step in and stop it before a push or punch is thrown. Once physical aggression happens then pushing and other fighting activity can occur before I can intervene. And who wants to deal with fights?
I'm more concerned with letting the defender continue to push on him after the whistle until he reacts and not addressing the contact from the defender. Get them both if you're going to call "that" elbow.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 04:03pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I'm more concerned with letting the defender continue to push on him after the whistle until he reacts and not addressing the contact from the defender. Get them both if you're going to call "that" elbow.
I agree with you on that play, I was just speaking on calling the elbow vs. calling the trash-talking. If the defender hadn't "ridden" the offensive player then the elbow wouldn't have happened. The one that instigated the issue is just as much at fault as the one that reacted to it.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think the contact from the defender was normal and not malicious. The ball handler has to use his head that is all.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the contact from the defender was normal and not malicious. The ball handler has to use his head that is all.

Peace
I agree. And neither was the half-assed fling of the arm. But it was not normal that long after the whistle. He could have easily stopped and chose not to. Absent the unnecessary and easily avoidable extra dead ball contact from the defender, the elbow doesn't happen.