The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 12:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

John Adams decides who works. Can't imagine he'd be bothered by this technical foul.

Those officials who ignore this.....thank goodness I work with people who wouldn't.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He was out at the free throw line. The chair left the huddle.

I hire for 21 schools. If you didn't whack him, I wouldn't hire you back. I expect officials to enforce decorum and sportsmanship. The coaches don't run the show.
Thank god I don't work for you then. I like my assignors because they have common sense. It's not our job as officials to enforce how a coach acts toward his players. I've seen a lot worse than that go unpunished. Thankfully most of the people in my association agree that it was an overbearing official sticking his nose where it didn't belong, and that's all that matters to me.

Some officials need to realize that the majority of people aren't there to see them work. From what I've seen from Oglesby this season, he's one of them.

I'm just glad that bs technical didn't influence the game. Providence did that on their own.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

The problem is, in the regular season that is not called. About six weeks ago, I was watching a game in where Chris Collins of Northwestern and Pat Driscoll were going jaw to jaw over a non-goaltending call. No technical foul was called.

This has been brought up before, when you have one set of supervisors for the regular season, and a separate set for the NCAA tournament where there is more pressure to call this creates problems.

In the regular season, you see a lot of bad stuff by coaches, and players that never gets called.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
Thank god I don't work for you then. I like my assignors because they have common sense. It's not our job as officials to enforce how a coach acts toward his players. I've seen a lot worse than that go unpunished.
So if a coach is loudly swearing, dropping F bombs and racial slurs, during a timeout huddle to his team, do you have no reaction? I realize I'm posing an extreme example, but my point is you had better not claim that this "isn't our job"
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 01:58am
In Time Out

Just watched the video. Technical is a joke.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that NCAA officiating gets worse and worse every tournament. So far this tournament has been an absolute joke when it comes to officiating.
I find that most people who make such claims have very poor understanding of the rules and how the game really should be officiated and are instead basing much of their opinion on ignorance and/or myths. Your subsequent posts along with, another recent visitor, just go to confirm that.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not our job as officials to enforce how a coach acts toward his players. I've seen a lot worse than that go unpunished. Thankfully most of the people in my association agree that it was an overbearing official sticking his nose where it didn't belong, and that's all that matters to me.
You'd be wrong again, particularly if it were in a HS game. If you see far worse going unpunished in your area, then the officials in your area must be afraid to take care of business.

Throwing chairs is just a no-no. I don't care what the reason was or who it was directed at. Such behavior simply does not belong anywhere on the court.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 02:26am
In Time Out

As someone who has no horse in this race, so to speak, the technical foul absolutely didn't need to be called. If the action had been directed at an official(or anyone other than his own team), I'd have no issue with it.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
As someone who has no horse in this race, so to speak, the technical foul absolutely didn't need to be called. If the action had been directed at an official(or anyone other than his own team), I'd have no issue with it.
Some things are just not allowed no matter who the target is. Throwing chairs is one of them.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:06am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Some things are just not allowed no matter who the target is. Throwing chairs is one of them.
If he'd actually thrown it, I'd likely agree. He knocked it over. Not an action that the other team should be getting free throws for.

Other than calling the official an idiot, the Deadspin article is correct.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Independent of the play in question...are you sure you're qualified to determine whether or not a T should be handed out? You've said it yourself, you've not an official.

As to the play in question...overt actions such, such as throwing/hitting the chair opens one up to be assessed a technical foul. And for all we know, there may be words that accompanied this T...in guise of "just talking to his guys."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he'd actually thrown it, I'd likely agree. He knocked it over.
Don't let facts get in the way of your argument. Usually when I knock something over, it doesn't travel 10-15 feet or more (can't see where it stopped but it was at least that) before it stops.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:33am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Independent of the play in question...are you sure you're qualified to determine whether or not a T should be handed out? You've said it yourself, you've not an official.

As to the play in question...overt actions such, such as throwing/hitting the chair opens one up to be assessed a technical foul. And for all we know, there may be words that accompanied this T...in guise of "just talking to his guys."
I'm not a basketball official. I did officiate baseball until some health issues came up.

If there were a way to penalize the coach without rewarding the other team, I'd be all for it. I just don't think that this rises to the level of something the other team should benefit from.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not a basketball official. I did officiate baseball until some health issues came up.

If there were a way to penalize the coach without rewarding the other team, I'd be all for it. I just don't think that this rises to the level of something the other team should benefit from.
How could you penalize a member of a team without the other team benefiting? Make him stay after school and write "I will not throw chairs" 500 times? If it doesn't hurt the team (which is the same as helping the opponents) there would be no incentive to not do it.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2015, 03:51am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
How could you penalize a member of a team without the other team benefiting? Make him stay after school and write "I will not throw chairs" 500 times? If it doesn't hurt the team (which is the same as helping the opponents) there would be no incentive to not do it.
Charged timeout, add a foul to the team's count, a documented warning, etc. I realize that adding a foul to the team's count is still benefiting the other team, but it's not essentially giving them free points.

I think I'm coming at it from the baseball mentality of an equipment toss that doesn't endanger others and isn't directed at/in response to an official is a warning.
Closed Thread