The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Providence - Dayton...Ed Cooley technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99563-providence-dayton-ed-cooley-technical.html)

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:54pm

Providence - Dayton...Ed Cooley technical

Let the comments begin...

Disclaimer: Met him a few times, extremely competitive and I think he is a great guy.

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:56pm

I'm happy I got to start a tourney thread before BNR beat me to it....

AremRed Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 958596)
Let the comments begin...

Disclaimer: Met him a few times, extremely competitive and I think he is a great guy.

I was at the Butler-Providence game this year and Cooley should have been whacked. I'm happy to see him finally get one. Dude rails the officials like no other.

refinks Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57pm

Horrible call, one of the worst so far. Cooley was mad at his team, and Ogelsby (sp?) had no business even paying attention to the huddle.

I'm of the opinion that NCAA officiating gets worse and worse every tournament. So far this tournament has been an absolute joke when it comes to officiating.

refinks Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 958598)
I was at the Butler-Providence game this year and Cooley should have been whacked. I'm happy to see him finally get one. Dude rails the officials like no other.

Uh, no. Not even close. I've seen many Providence games and Cooley is on his team more than anything. I've seen many, many more coaches that are far worse

Multiple Sports Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01am

He is a huge supporter of referees. He has said at his camp that he thinks referees are underpaid...

twocentsworth Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:01am

For the textbook definition of: "Lack of Officiating Common Sense" look no further than Terry Oglesby's technical foul he assessed the Providence coach.

Sure hope any official who does that ISN'T working during the 2nd week of the tournament....

Multiple Sports Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:04am

I was really hoping that the crew would get together and "discuss" this. From TV there doesn't seem like anything precipitated this.....

Rich Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:06am

Sportsmanship is supposed to die because these games are important.

Good for the official. He threw a chair on the floor. He deserved it.

Have at it, fanboys.

refinks Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 958603)
For the textbook definition of: "Lack of Officiating Common Sense" look no further than Terry Oglesby's technical foul he assessed the Providence coach.

Sure hope any official who does that ISN'T working during the 2nd week of the tournament....

If Oglesby works another game in this tournament it is a shame. The fact he's working at all is a shame. He is awful.

AremRed Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refinks (Post 958599)
Horrible call, one of the worst so far. Cooley was mad at his team, and Ogelsby (sp?) had no business even paying attention to the huddle.

Uh, why? The referees are in charge of everything on the court. Why would the referee conveniently ignore the chair thrown on the floor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by refinks (Post 958601)
Uh, no. Not even close. I've seen many Providence games and Cooley is on his team more than anything. I've seen many, many more coaches that are far worse

Admittedly my sample size is pretty small (the Butler game, and this one) but both times I've seen him pumping the refs for calls and being disrespect. Looks like a trend to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 958602)
He is a huge supporter of referees. He has said at his camp that he thinks referees are underpaid...

So what? There are tons of two-faced coaches who are awesome off the court but insufferable on...

refinks Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 958605)
Sportsmanship is supposed to die because these games are important.

Good for the official. He threw a chair on the floor. He deserved it.

Have at it, fanboys.

No, just no. If Oglesby wouldn't have been butting into the huddle its a non issue.

I know that in my association, if I whacked a coach for knocking a chair over because he was mad at HIS PLAYERS I would not be working the rest of the season. Absolutely brutal lack of common sense there

AremRed Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refinks (Post 958608)
No, just no. If Oglesby wouldn't have been butting into the huddle its a non issue.

I know that in my association, if I whacked a coach for knocking a chair over because he was mad at HIS PLAYERS I would not be working the rest of the season. Absolutely brutal lack of common sense there

Absolutely brutal lack of common sense by Cooley for throwing a chair towards where the official stands during a full timeout? Totally agree.

Intent doesn't matter.

AremRed Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:28am

Deadspin with the level headed reporting they are known for: http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/id...ool-1692780853

refinks Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 958611)
Deadspin with the level headed reporting they are known for: http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/id...ool-1692780853

Yep, that about sums it up