The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Arizona vs Colorado Head Coach T (Possible Ejection?) (Video)

Yay or nay? Maybe he "wanted to be tossed?"

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

The latter half of that clip he is yelling at his players to "don't quit", so the first T looks fine, but an ejection would have been unnecessary.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The latter half of that clip he is yelling at his players to "don't quit", so the first T looks fine, but an ejection would have been unnecessary.
Players and assistant coaches aren't holding back a coach for telling his player to "don't quit."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 09:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Wouldn't have gotten to the latter half.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've COMPLETELY missed what the Colorado HC was doing...he's yelling at the officials: "DON'T QUIT" because he felt they weren't calling fouls based on the officials view that the game was over (20pt lead w/ roughly 1:30 left in the game).

Unfortunately, ejections happen in situations like this because officials sometimes DO "quit officiating" and coaches do "lose it" when it does happen - or when they think it's happening.

Based on what I saw, I'm not ejecting him here. He's a frustrated coach who is venting....he got one T - he made his point....
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
You've COMPLETELY missed what the Colorado HC was doing...he's yelling at the officials: "DON'T QUIT" because he felt they weren't calling fouls based on the officials view that the game was over (20pt lead w/ roughly 1:30 left in the game).

Unfortunately, ejections happen in situations like this because officials sometimes DO "quit officiating" and coaches do "lose it" when it does happen - or when they think it's happening.

Based on what I saw, I'm not ejecting him here. He's a frustrated coach who is venting....he got one T - he made his point....
I'd wear out a "like" button on this forum, but this post is a really good one.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:43am
Often wrong never n doubt

In college those guys get away with murder so I don't know what is expected there. However in a high school game I'm tossing him.

He seems to be referencing the "foul" on the drive to the basket. I don't see a no call here as an official who has quit.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:46am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:

Serious question. How many times does he get to make his point? How long do we let him go before it is too much?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
In college those guys get away with murder so I don't know what is expected there. However in a high school game I'm tossing him.

He seems to be referencing the "foul" on the drive to the basket. I don't see a no call here as an official who has quit.
I do not see coaches in college getting away with any more than I see in HS. If anything high school officials often do not have a since of the bigger picture.

This was not even close to an ejection IMO unless there was some wording that was stated I was unaware of.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

How long do we let a coach vent and turn this into a fiasco?

In this video he vents for nearly 30 seconds. He comes out on the floor and yells at lead. C whacks him. After the T he goes back to yelling at lead, then chases after C who was heading for the table...

The contact that was passed on was clearly a no call. He didn't get beat by 20 because of this no call. It was all about him and nothing to do with the game.

I agree in the current NCAA climate it is probably not an ejection... Not sure I agree with that. I think in a high school game it is an ejection...

If it is not an ejection the officials should get 30 seconds on the floor berating him, pointing out his poor coaching, his marginal recruiting, his lack of preparedness, and all the mistakes his players made.
For every ten seconds he can't take the officials berating is an extra game suspension
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post

In high school there is virtually NO accountability for officials who T/eject people - u can pretty much do what u want and there won't be any consequence (ask yourself this: "when was the last time you heard of ANY official losing games/being removed from a conference for on-court decisions/judgement?").

btw, this WAS a foul. Can the official get away w/out calling it? Sure. Can the coach feel that this foul should have been called and is evidence that the officials are "officiating the scoreboard"? Sure. Did the coach want/deserve a T? Yes. If an official is going to throw a coach out w/ 1:30 to go in a game that is already decided, then it needs to be so obvious that Ray Charles could "see" that the ejection was warranted.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
How long do we let a coach vent and turn this into a fiasco?
Fiasco? What fiasco?

The coach wanted to get a T, got the T, and continues to complain to make sure he gets his point across. That does NOT a fiasco make.

One of the officials has GOT to get to him and talk to him - let him vent ("Coach, I understand you're upset. I'm right here...you don't have to yell. I hear what you're saying...nobody is quitting on this game. The Lead simply didn't think it was a foul...nothing more. Nothing less. Let's finish the game and not make this any worse than it is" (or something to that effect).

Coaches in this situation will continue their rant until they feel that they're being heard - that's really all they want...to get their point across to the officials.

The officials MUST be the calmest people in the arena. If they emotionally react to a situation like this, then they are not able to understand what is happening and understand how to handle/resolve it. One can certainly issue another T and pitch the coach....but I submit to you that it will cause more problems than it is worth (needless to say that an official who does this probably does not have the "people skills"/game management skills that other officials have who have advanced to higher basketball levels).

In my experience, officials at higher levels talk more/first before issuing a T than officials at lower levels. I don't think that is an accident.

Last edited by twocentsworth; Fri Feb 27, 2015 at 01:30pm.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In my experience, officials at higher levels talk more/first before issuing a T than officials at lower levels. I do jot think that is an accident.
I feel confident in saying this coach would be tossed in an NBA game...by officials at the highest level.

Then again, a coach at that level wouldn't do this unless he was looking to be tossed...and would be expecting it...that's a disportionate response to the play at hand.

Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm getting his second at about the 25 second mark of the video.

He knows he was heard after he got the T. He got a few seconds to yell at the lead, then went back to the guy who gave him his T.
That's when he gets the second.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Feb 27, 2015 at 02:02pm. Reason: formatting
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The coach was yelling "foul underneath, foul underneath". The slot properly T'd him up when he was on the court.

When the coach walked back onto the court and directed his arm action and his comment again to the L, on what was a correct no-call, I'm, as the L, tossing him.