View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
How long do we let a coach vent and turn this into a fiasco?
Fiasco? What fiasco?

The coach wanted to get a T, got the T, and continues to complain to make sure he gets his point across. That does NOT a fiasco make.

One of the officials has GOT to get to him and talk to him - let him vent ("Coach, I understand you're upset. I'm right here...you don't have to yell. I hear what you're saying...nobody is quitting on this game. The Lead simply didn't think it was a foul...nothing more. Nothing less. Let's finish the game and not make this any worse than it is" (or something to that effect).

Coaches in this situation will continue their rant until they feel that they're being heard - that's really all they want...to get their point across to the officials.

The officials MUST be the calmest people in the arena. If they emotionally react to a situation like this, then they are not able to understand what is happening and understand how to handle/resolve it. One can certainly issue another T and pitch the coach....but I submit to you that it will cause more problems than it is worth (needless to say that an official who does this probably does not have the "people skills"/game management skills that other officials have who have advanced to higher basketball levels).

In my experience, officials at higher levels talk more/first before issuing a T than officials at lower levels. I don't think that is an accident.

Last edited by twocentsworth; Fri Feb 27, 2015 at 01:30pm.