The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

How "head" is a post-ejection assistant coach

In musing over some situations, I came back to some questions about what happens after a HC is ejected. I'm assuming here there is an assistant coach that takes over the team. I know we've debated about whether he's now the "head coach" or not. I think I came to the conclusion that I will have to recognize him as being the head coach or he'd never be allowed to have his time out request granted.

But here's my question: If the assistant assumes the role of head coach, then he would also be charged with indirect technicals for any misbehavior by his bench, would he not? It seems logical to me that he would. I've just never thought about it before, nor do I recall it being discussed when talking about head coach ejections.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
But here's my question: If the assistant assumes the role of head coach, then he would also be charged with indirect technicals for any misbehavior by his bench, would he not? It seems logical to me that he would. I've just never thought about it before, nor do I recall it being discussed when talking about head coach ejections.
I agree -- for any "indirects" that occur under his/her watch.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

AND - if he/she is the "head coach" now and can receive the indirects and request time outs - can they stand in the coaching box? hmmmmmmmm
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
AND - if he/she is the "head coach" now and can receive the indirects and request time outs - can they stand in the coaching box? hmmmmmmmm
Since the original head coach has been ejected, they'd already lost their privilege to stand in the coaching box. The new head coach must sit the entire rest of the game.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Since the original head coach has been ejected, they'd already lost their privilege to stand in the coaching box. The new head coach must sit the entire rest of the game.
I would agree with that. Once the coaching box privilege is removed for the team, it's removed for the entire game. The sentence is removal of coaching box privileges without the possibility of parole

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

The asst. coach now has all the rights and is accounable for all indirects just like the head coach would be if he was still in the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Oct 02, 2008, 11:30am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The asst. coach now has all the rights and is accounable for all indirects just like the head coach would be if he was still in the game.
And he (or she) is also responsible for making the final payment on foul insurance.