The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 05:09pm
Stubborn Member

I thought one of the conditions for a BC violation was that a player from Team A would have to be the last one to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt. I read the conditions wrong. Thankfully, that play hasn't happened to me.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 05:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I thought one of the conditions BC violation was that a player from Team A would have to be the last one to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt. I read the conditions wrong. Thankfully, that play hasn't happened to me.
They WERE the last to touch the ball before it went iny the backcourt.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 05:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I thought one of the conditions for a BC violation was that a player from Team A would have to be the last one to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt. I read the conditions wrong. Thankfully, that play hasn't happened to me.
Those conditions still hold. At the point the ball is moving into the BC from the FC, who is the last to have touched it?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 05:17pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They WERE the last touch the ball before it went iny the backcourt.
The last to touch the ball while the player was in the frontcourt. Sorry, I thought that was implied in my post.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Moral of the story, get the F out of the way
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have always understood that when on the court I am the same as the floor. But, now what if; I am inbounds near a side-line and a wild pass should hit me in the chest and deflect back onto the court. Had I not been there then the ball would clearly have gone OOB.I think I would have to go with an OOB. Correct? Would hate to see bouncing balls off of officials become part of plays.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:18pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
I have always understood that when on the court I am the same as the floor. But, now what if; I am inbounds near a side-line and a wild pass should hit me in the chest and deflect back onto the court. Had I not been there then the ball would clearly have gone OOB.I think I would have to go with an OOB. Correct? Would hate to see bouncing balls off of officials become part of plays.
I don't like it either, but that's the rule.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
I've had a ball hit me in the chest or leg, effectively saving the ball, and at least one time, directly lead to a fast break at the other end. I didn't like it, but I didn't blow it dead either. Tough break for one team, lucky break for the other.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The referee is treated no differently than the floor at that spot. And since the ball has to touch a player from team A in order to get FC status, then no violation.
Three lashes and back to the rules book for you, junior!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
4-4-2,3,4:

A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the
frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.

A ball which is in flight retains the same location as when it was last
in contact with a player or the court.

A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball
touching the floor at that individual’s location.

Also:

The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throw-in); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.

So, if I'm in the backcourt, holding the ball, having not yet not yet starting a dribble, and I throw the ball into the frontcourt, and backspin the ball in such a way that it bounces in the frontcourt and comes back to me, while I'm still in the backcourt, and I catch it, that's legal? That smells "fishy" to me, and it's not just in the state of Denmark.
Billy, this seems to be the act of dribbling, and comes under the "3 points touching in the front court" exception.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Plot Thickens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Billy, this seems to be the act of dribbling, and comes under the "3 points touching in the front court" exception. Thoughts?
It is certainly a dribble. Good point. Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corner Of Denmark ...

Quote:
So, if I'm in the backcourt, holding the ball, having not yet not yet starting a dribble, and I throw the ball into the frontcourt, and backspin the ball in such a way that it bounces in the frontcourt and comes back to me, while I'm still in the backcourt, and I catch it, that's legal? That smells "fishy" to me, and it's not just in the state of Denmark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Billy, this seems to be the act of dribbling, and comes under the "3 points touching in the front court" exception.
Quote:
It is certainly a dribble. Good point. Never mind.
I'll try again.

I'm in the backcourt, holding the ball, having already given up my dribble (not allowed to dribble again, three points across the division line are not relevant) and I pass the ball into the frontcourt, and backspin the ball in such a way that it bounces in the frontcourt and comes back to me, while I'm still in my backcourt, and the ball hits me in the leg. Legal? I don't think so.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 23, 2015 at 04:18pm.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll try again.

I'm in the backcourt, holding the ball, having already given up my dribble (not allowed to dribble again, three points across the division line are not relevant) and I pass the ball into the frontcourt, and backspin the ball in such a way that it bounces in the frontcourt and comes back to me, while I'm still in the backcourt, and the ball hits me in the leg. Legal? I don't think so.
That seems to be illegal:

9-2 While in player and team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, wothout the ball first touching a player in frontcourt, such that he/she or a teammate is the first to touch it in the backcourt.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 04:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'll try again.

I'm in the backcourt, holding the ball, having already given up my dribble (not allowed to dribble again, three points across the division line are not relevant) and I pass the ball into the frontcourt, and backspin the ball in such a way that it bounces in the frontcourt and comes back to me, while I'm still in my backcourt, and the ball hits me in the leg. Legal? I don't think so.
Either illegal dribble or backcourt violation.
Your choice.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2015, 10:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I just moved all the off topic posts to a new thread. It veered just a little too far off topic, from backcourt violations to illegal dribbles.