The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2015, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Unnessary Mechanic?

Sometimes after a 3 second lane violation I'll have a coach ask me as to which of his players violated. I've had it asked of me much later in a time out when heck I can't remember. So now after a 3 second call I motion the 3 with my arm coming to a rest at the hip. With my arm still down by my leg I'll give a quick player 4 2 while in direct eye contact with the coach. They seem to appreciate it and give me a little nod of thanks.I don't think that the fans even notice it. Thoughts?
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

I will verbally state who committed a violation:

"White 32...Three second violation!"
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

I refrain from verbalizing a number unless asked by the coach as I've seen it cause confusion for the table crew and a foul gets erroneously recorded.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

As a coach, we appreciate it so we know who to yell at, I mean teach.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
As a coach, we appreciate it so we know who to yell at, I mean teach.
My experience...in the rare 3 seconds violation that is called...the coach, more likely than not, is gonna ask who the violation is on. I'll just preemptively identify the person before he has to ask me.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 03:47am
This IS My Social Life

Is This a Legitimate . . .

. . . Debate Question?
"If it isn't obvious which player committed a three seconds violation -- if the official needs to signal on whom he called the violation --, was it really significant enough that it had to be called?"
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
. . . Debate Question?
"If it isn't obvious which player committed a three seconds violation -- if the official needs to signal on whom he called the violation --, was it really significant enough that it had to be called?"
Maybe.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 06:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

What ?? My Best Player Fouled Out ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I refrain from verbalizing a number unless asked by the coach as I've seen it cause confusion for the table crew and a foul gets erroneously recorded.
Agree. That's exactly what we teach rookie officials here, in my little corner of Connecticut. A good high school varsity table crew probably won't make that mistake, but a bad freshman, or middle school, table crew might. Plus, it's not the proper technique according to the (IAABO) mechanics manual.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 06:50am.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. . . Debate Question?
Maybe a team has two players (on the floor at the same time) who spend a significant part of the time in the lane.

Now, the coach will want to know which one stayed in too long.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Plus, it's not the proper technique according to the (IAABO) mechanics manual.
How do any mechanics ever get changed? Someone tires something different, and it works, so it gets adopted.

I do recognize that it's a slippery slope between trying something, and having everyone use his/her own mechanics.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 08:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Change Is Inevitable, Except From A Vending Machine (Robert C. Gallagher) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
How do any mechanics ever get changed? Someone tires something different, and it works, so it gets adopted.
I worked with a young, up, and coming, official a few weeks ago, that used his own version of a three second signal. Instead of having his signal hand down by his upper leg, he had it up, slightly below, his shoulder. It was easy to see by all, coaches, fans, table crew, and me, his partner. I encouraged him to show his "new, and improved" three second signal to our interpreter, who could pass it on to IAABO.

If change is for the better, I'm all for it, otherwise we would still be climbing the ladder and taking the laced ball out of the peach basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 22, 2015 at 08:09am.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2015, 09:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
. . . Debate Question?
I would say, yes, it could be significant enough. We're paid to watch "off ball." Sometimes coaches and other spectators have to be informed about violations and fouls that they might not have been watching (they're eyes are glued to the ball) - rebound fouls, illegal screens, holds, three seconds, etc.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I always give a number verbally for a three-second violation. It's a fairly uncommon violation, so I want to know who it was if I get asked.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Everytime I read y'all talk about infrequent and significant on three second calls, I want ya to come talk to some of the MS refs we see, who are far more aware of the guy in the key for 3.0001 seconds (or 2.3 secnds, but that's another story . . .) than the fact that the airball on the five foot shot was caused by the shooter's arm being whacked . . .
Old Tue Feb 24, 2015, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Everytime I read y'all talk about infrequent and significant on three second calls, I want ya to come talk to some of the MS refs we see, who are far more aware of the guy in the key for 3.0001 seconds (or 2.3 secnds, but that's another story . . .) than the fact that the airball on the five foot shot was caused by the shooter's arm being whacked . . .
Get a whistle in your mouth and go do a MS scrum game and see how often you can get every call. They are terrible to work,but it's where you should start. Perhaps the 3 was before the hack and what does the key have to do with anything? AND SOOOOO CAL....... READ,READ,READ,TEST AND GET A WHISTLE
GET BACK TO US WHEN YOU CAN ALSO COUNT TO 5 AND THEN 10